Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I use my time capsule in a mesh wifi system -

how can I use my time capsule in a mesh wifi system -- can I turn off the wifi signal from it and just use it to back up my computers?

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:26 AM

Of course. The backups will occur over the mesh system, but because the Time Capsule is connected to the mesh router via Ethernet, the mesh router will pass through the backups to the Time Capsule. The same is true on a normal Wi-Fi system.

Another way to say the same thing.......Wi-Fi devices and Ethernet devices are on the same network. It does not matter how they connect. Think of two doors that both open into the same room.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 9:26 AM in response to williamfromgreenfield

Of course. The backups will occur over the mesh system, but because the Time Capsule is connected to the mesh router via Ethernet, the mesh router will pass through the backups to the Time Capsule. The same is true on a normal Wi-Fi system.

Another way to say the same thing.......Wi-Fi devices and Ethernet devices are on the same network. It does not matter how they connect. Think of two doors that both open into the same room.

Jan 14, 2023 7:27 AM in response to williamfromgreenfield

You would use the Time Capsule in a mesh system just like you would use it in a normal Wi-Fi system.

Connect the Time Capsule to the main router using an Ethernet cable. If you don't need the Wi-Fi service of the Time Capsule, you can turn off the Wi-Fi once the Time Capsule is set up.

Post back if you need step-by-step instructions.

how can I use my time capsule in a mesh wifi system -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.