Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i reconnect my Airport Time Capsule to my wifi?

I have moved house and have been unable to reconnect my Apple Time Capsule (2015) to my new wifi

In Airport Utility, it states connected to the internet but there is no Time Capsule visible

The Time Capsule is flashing yellow

In my previous house, I connected via my broadband router - is that compulsory? I thought I would just be able to connect the Time Capsule wirelessly to the same network and back up to the Mac

Thank you

MIA MBP 16" (Sep 2020)

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 9:13 AM

In my previous house, I connected via my broadband router - is that compulsory?

Yes it is......unless.....your main router is another Apple AirPort product. Then....the Time Capsule can connect using only Wi-Fi. But.....the Time Capsule cannot connect wirelessly to a third party router.

You will be setting up the Time Capsule exactly the same way that you set it up previously with your "old" router. Post back if you need some help with this.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

In my previous house, I connected via my broadband router - is that compulsory?

Yes it is......unless.....your main router is another Apple AirPort product. Then....the Time Capsule can connect using only Wi-Fi. But.....the Time Capsule cannot connect wirelessly to a third party router.

You will be setting up the Time Capsule exactly the same way that you set it up previously with your "old" router. Post back if you need some help with this.

Jan 31, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Because the Time Capsule will be connecting to your "new" network, you will first need to perform a Hard Reset on the Time Capsule by powering it up for a minute and then holding in the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds. Release the reset button and give the Time Capsule a full minute to restart to a slow blinking amber light status.

Power off the Time Capsule

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the 3 Ethernet ports on the BT Hub......(choose any one that you wish).....and connect the other end to the WAN "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the Other Wi-Fi Devices button

Click on Time Capsule xxxxx or it might read AirPort Time Capsule xxxxx

AirPort Utility will take a few seconds to analyze the connections and then then display the correct screen to allow you to set up the Time Capsule. The window will look similar to the example below, except that you will see your Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Type in a name for the Time Capsule Wi-Fi network. Later, you can turn off the Wi-Fi if you don't need another Wi-Fi network

Base Station Name......Type in a device name for the Time Capsule

Password......Type in a password for the Time Capsule

Verify.....Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and AirPort Utility will apply the correct settings to the Time Capsule. Should be a nice green light on the Time Capsule in about 30 seconds.

The Time Capsule is now set up correctly with your network. Click the Wi-Fi "bars" at the top of your Mac's screen and select the Wi-Fi network that you want to use.

Jan 31, 2023 8:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Having tried to replicate what I did in my last house, I can't now get it to work!

The reverse of the BT Smart Hub 2 has a WAN port, a Braodband port, and three Ethernet ports. (I have BT Fibre to direct to home, if that makes any difference)

The TIme Capsule has a WAN port and three Ethernet ports

This should be relatively straight forward but can you please explain which cable needs to go where?

Many thanks

Feb 1, 2023 7:40 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

If backups are working correctly, that tells you that the Mac is connecting to the Time Capsule correctly, so you should be able to open AirPort Utility to "see" the Time Capsule.

Try power off the Time Capsule

Restart your Mac and wait a minute

Power the Time Capsule back up

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility) to see if the Time Capsule will appear

If yes, click on the Time Capsule and a smaller window will appear

Click Edit in that smaller window

If you want to change the name of the Time Capsule, click on the Base Station tab and edit the name, then click Update to save the changes

How do i reconnect my Airport Time Capsule to my wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.