Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages not included in iCloud backup if Messages in iCloud is on?

This has been discussed before, but I'd be happy for a recent confirmation.

I friend of mine accidentally deleted a valuable iMessage conversation from her iPhone. As she has a recent iCloud backup from before the unfortunate incident, my first thought was that an erase and restore would get her messages back. But as she had Messages in iCloud turned on, it seems like no messages are included in the backup. Apple's resoning would be that it'd be redundant - except for the case where things are deleted by mistake (which usually is a pretty big reason for backups).

Is that the case? An accidental erase - gone forever?

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 1:42 PM

If you had messages in iCloud turned on Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support and those messages were deleted, then they are permanently gone. If that feature wasn't turned on, you can restore from a backup -- Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support.

2 replies

Sep 28, 2020 10:37 AM in response to zinacef

OK, that's confirmed then, thanks!

There's lots of hints and help-articles out there, written before the Messages in iCloud was introduced and therefore suggesting that restoring the iCloud backup will indeed get the deleted messages back. Which obviously no longer is true (if you use Messages in iCloud).

Which is a bit of a shame. It makes the iCloud backup less of a backup. The old-fashioned backup through iTunes (or iMazing or similar apps) still seems to be the only way to actually get a real backup.

With iCloud Photo Library, you have 30 days to un-delete. With Mail, you can choose the time before the trash is emptied. Messages is for many people something just as personal and valuable, and, as I see it, ought to be included in any Apple-worthy backup solution.

iMessages not included in iCloud backup if Messages in iCloud is on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.