Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to delete user home folder

I'm taking over a MacBook Pro 2009 and want to delete a user.

The user was an admin and I succesfully changed that to Standard.

I'm not sure when I want to delete that users home folder.

I first tried to have that users home folder put as a disk image into Deleted Users. That didn't work, even after I changed permissions.

What happends if I do this?

• Leave the user’s home folder as is: Select “Don’t change the home folder.” The user’s documents and information remain and the user can be restored later if needed. The home folder remains in /Users/.

Will I then be able to use Finder to move the home folder into Deleted Users or delete the user home folder if I chose to?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 11:49 AM

See the following:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Follow the instructions as they will tell you how to make the switch from the old owner to yourself. Deleting a user account is not the way it should be done.

You should not have reduced the other owner's account to a Standard unless you already created an Admin account of your own, first. Fortunately, that won't matter.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 11:49 AM in response to Bruce L.

See the following:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Follow the instructions as they will tell you how to make the switch from the old owner to yourself. Deleting a user account is not the way it should be done.

You should not have reduced the other owner's account to a Standard unless you already created an Admin account of your own, first. Fortunately, that won't matter.

want to delete user home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.