Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple user folders, one user account

Hello,

I am greatly regretting that I tried changing the name of my user folder. I now have two user folders on my macbook pro which has split my data in two. I'd like to switch back to the original folder, but I'm not sure how to do it. I am unable to change the name of the folder with the Home icon on it and I am unable to delete anything. Am I missing something? I don't want to make more mistakes...

Thanks!

Allison

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 27, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 8:37 AM

maryallisondozier wrote:

Hello,

I am greatly regretting that I tried changing the name of my user folder. I now have two user folders on my macbook pro which has split my data in two. I'd like to switch back to the original folder, but I'm not sure how to do it. I am unable to change the name of the folder with the Home icon on it and I am unable to delete anything. Am I missing something? I don't want to make more mistakes...

Thanks!
Allison

Right not recommended to change the user home folder name.

This comes with a warning:

"Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding."

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

You can restore your Mac to before your the issue— using you Time Machine back is the easiest way.

Restore your Mac from a backup

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2022 8:37 AM in response to maryallisondozier

maryallisondozier wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!
Allison

Right not recommended to change the user home folder name.

This comes with a warning:

"Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding."

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

You can restore your Mac to before your the issue— using you Time Machine back is the easiest way.

Restore your Mac from a backup

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

May 28, 2022 11:42 AM in response to maryallisondozier

If you did not first create another admin user account before making the changes, then you can attempt to do so now by using the instructions in this article written by a well respected forum contributor:

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admi… - Apple Community

As long as you have a macOS admin user account you can use, then just follow the instructions in the Apple article @leroydouglas provided to properly change the macOS user account name and paths.

Multiple user folders, one user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.