Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several user folders for one user - how to merge?

Accidently found that I have several user folders for one (my) account on my Mac.

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel (Documents, Downloads, Dropbox, Library, and Movies folders with several files inside)

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel 1 (a full pack of folders; this user's folder the system / me using every day)

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel 2 (looks like 'Paul' folder, contains Documents and Library folders).

How can I merge these folders into one folder?

Here is the screenshot with the folder 'Pavel 2'

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:31 AM

Uncle70RUS wrote:

Accidently found that I have several user folders for one (my) account on my Mac.

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel (Documents, Downloads, Dropbox, Library, and Movies folders with several files inside)
Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel 1 (a full pack of folders; this user's folder the system / me using every day)
Macintosh HD -> Users -> Pavel 2 (looks like 'Paul' folder, contains Documents and Library folders).

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a570df9e-fd7f-4765-ba71-fdf0733a4069

And what lead to this unusual predicament...?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Uncle70RUS

Uncle70RUS wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a570df9e-fd7f-4765-ba71-fdf0733a4069

And what lead to this unusual predicament...?

Jan 16, 2022 9:13 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks a lot, etersoft, for the hint related to finding the 'live' version of the user's folder.

I found that the 'home' or 'live' folder is 'Pavel 1', but when I was trying to copy-n-paste the 'Documents' folder from folder 'Pavel', I've received the following message (see the screenshot)

I didn't try to move it or cut-n-paste, copy-n-paste only.

The same for the 'Documents' from the 'Pavel 2' folder...

Moreover, I didn't find a 'Documents' folder in the 'live' user's folder...

Any other ideas, guys?

Jan 16, 2022 5:49 PM in response to Uncle70RUS

The first thing to do is go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > click on your account > control-click or right-click and choose "Advanced Options". This will show you which one of those is the "live" version. Do NOT make any changes in this window.

Once you know what the live version is, then you can just copy any files from the other "Documents" folders into the live "Documents" folder if they don't already exist.

Do NOT attempt this with any of the "Library" folders. Make sure that all of your apps are working normally and you aren't missing any data in any apps. If everything looks good, then you can just delete the other user folders, including the "Library" folders. Trying to copy files form a Library folder is like Macintosh brain surgery.

Several user folders for one user - how to merge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.