Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

renaming user folder

Hello guys, I am using a MacBook Pro Late 2012 with Sierra OS 10.12.6

Yesterday I tried to rename the user folder which is "Sebastian" by creating a new Admin User ("Nico"), then logging into "Nico" User, and then renaming the "Sebastian" folder. I actually only followed the first three steps of this tutorial: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548 but now when I Log back into the previous user, all the data is still there but everything looks differently and the Sebastian folder is empty. Yet the data is there in a new folder which has the target name I wanted to rename it to. Please help me, the biggest problem is that user settings such as wallpaper and my desk aren't there anymore.. thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 2:27 AM

Q - " I actually only followed the first three steps of this tutorial: "

A - Then revise that same article and finish the next 8 steps. Just incase it was missed the first time >> below is a Copy ad Paste of the 8 more steps

Then rename the account

While still logged out of the account you're renaming, follow these additional steps:

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click  , then enter the administrator name and password that you used to log in. 
  3. From the list of users on the left, Control-click the user you're renaming, then choose Advanced Options.
  4. Change the “Account name” field to match the new name of the home folder. It should have no spaces.
  5. The account name also appears in the “Home directory” field, after /Users/. Change that account name to match the new name of the home folder.
  6. If you want to change the full name associated with your account, update the ”Full name” field as well. It can be any name, and you can use either the full name or the account name to log in to your Mac or make changes that require your name and password.
  7. Click OK, then restart your Mac.
  8. Log in to the renamed account, then verify that your old files and folders are visible and the account is working as expected.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2022 2:27 AM in response to iMacdonalds

Q - " I actually only followed the first three steps of this tutorial: "

A - Then revise that same article and finish the next 8 steps. Just incase it was missed the first time >> below is a Copy ad Paste of the 8 more steps

Then rename the account

While still logged out of the account you're renaming, follow these additional steps:

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click  , then enter the administrator name and password that you used to log in. 
  3. From the list of users on the left, Control-click the user you're renaming, then choose Advanced Options.
  4. Change the “Account name” field to match the new name of the home folder. It should have no spaces.
  5. The account name also appears in the “Home directory” field, after /Users/. Change that account name to match the new name of the home folder.
  6. If you want to change the full name associated with your account, update the ”Full name” field as well. It can be any name, and you can use either the full name or the account name to log in to your Mac or make changes that require your name and password.
  7. Click OK, then restart your Mac.
  8. Log in to the renamed account, then verify that your old files and folders are visible and the account is working as expected.

renaming user folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.