Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing home folder name on Mac OS 12

Hello there,

I setted up my new mac but i've done something wrong. I wanted everything to be absolutely the same as the old one (username, home folder, ssd name, folders etc) couse the softwares that i use (rekordbox mainly) need to find the same path.. But my home folder name is with capital letters now. My question is can i change the home folder name (not the admin name) without losing everything? I have many apps already installed and data and i don't want to lose them

Thanks in advance !

Danny

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 9:24 AM

My question is can i change the home folder name (not the admin name) without losing everything?

Yes. Read and follow Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support.

Apple places particular emphasis on the boxed note that precedes those instructions:

Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Slim_Size

My question is can i change the home folder name (not the admin name) without losing everything?

Yes. Read and follow Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support.

Apple places particular emphasis on the boxed note that precedes those instructions:

Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding.

Jun 1, 2022 9:03 AM in response to Slim_Size

Changing the Home folder and user name is a very risky operation. There is a high potential for a misstep and that can cause all sorts of problems.

If the Mac is running as expected, the capital letters will be fine. If this is an emotional issue, I recommend you don't rename anything.

What you can do is create a new admin user the way you want it, move your data and then remove the old user you don't like.

Changing home folder name on Mac OS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.