Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I remove a home folder if I have two?

I just bought a MacBook Pro to learn more about this environment, I have been trying to change the name of my home directory. It was "ygnwieschion" and I wanted to make is something shorter and from the user settings I changed it to "Ygnwie".

But now I have 2 home folders. Finder application uses "Ygnwie" while terminal is using "ygnwieschion".

How can I get rid of ygnwieschion? I do not have any important files or programs. I tried to reinstall Mac to get rid of everything so I can pick another file name ( thought this would be the easiest solution and I've got some time. ) but it didn't work and I cannot find any useful solution for this.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 7:31 PM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2019 9:37 PM in response to Ygnwie

If you purchased a used Mac, you need to erase the entire computer and reinstall the OS.

1) You have no idea what the previous user installed on that Mac which could steal personal information from you.

2) You cannot ever upgrade that Mac because you do not have the AppleID password that licensed that copy of the OS (or any other software installed on it).

You can then choose whatever name you want for your Home directory and short user name.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Aug 9, 2019 2:26 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your reply!

The Macbook is brand new so I don’t have any problems about it.

But I have been trying to follow these steps and i got worse. I erased the disk. And reinstalled Mac, but i cannot select a startup disk at all and it won’t let me. I tried everything I could find, it says after i reinstall Mac i should be able to see the disk in startup options but i cannot.

please help me!

how can I remove a home folder if I have two?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.