Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[FCPX: 10.4.10] Three Monitors - Screens Setup Placement Bugs

FCPX allows the split of video/timeline on one screen and Browser/Titles/Songs on another screen. However it doesn't really allow selecting on which screen to put it.

Use case:

iMac 2020 in the center as main screen, TB Display (1) to its left, TB Display (2) to its right.

The browser separate window will be placed on TB Display (1) (left screen).

Clicking on 'Window' -> 'Move To TB Display (2)' will indeed move it to the screen on the right, however ANY minor action (import media, create a new event folder, new compound clip... anything really) will bring it back to the Left screen.

Any way to set this up so that it stays on the right screen?

Thanks in advance

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 8:55 AM

It requires some discipline, but Yes, we can do it.

Bear with me as I try to explain.

1) The easiest way is to begin by setting Display (2) as the "main" screen in System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement

This is done by dragging the little white menu bar over to the right display.

2) Start FCP on the iMac display. To make sure it starts there:

2a) Click the real menu bar on the iMac display to make it "active"

2b) Start FCP without clicking anywhere else - I recommend using Spotlight: press command-space, type Final, enter

2c) Window->Show in Secondary Display->Browser

3) There is no step 3 :-)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 8:55 AM in response to amartinez1660

It requires some discipline, but Yes, we can do it.

Bear with me as I try to explain.

1) The easiest way is to begin by setting Display (2) as the "main" screen in System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement

This is done by dragging the little white menu bar over to the right display.

2) Start FCP on the iMac display. To make sure it starts there:

2a) Click the real menu bar on the iMac display to make it "active"

2b) Start FCP without clicking anywhere else - I recommend using Spotlight: press command-space, type Final, enter

2c) Window->Show in Secondary Display->Browser

3) There is no step 3 :-)

Sep 29, 2020 9:32 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, I'll be ****** back and forth, that works. It actually even started already with the browser on the right screen and the main timeline/storyline/preview in the middle iMac's screen.

Besides just having to re-arrange the windows probably once (the desktops numbers and windows switched between the screens that swapped the main menu bar) is there any potential secondary side effect to be aware off?

Also, what's the logic behind this?

I spent some time on it before deciding to ask for help. Was thinking:

• To force 'desktop numbers' somehow to go middle, then to the right screen and finishing counting on the right
  • To swap the daisy chain physical connection of the thunderbolt displays (but needed a cable extension that I don't have since it's 100% reach tight as it is, the distances happen to not be symmetrical).

Never thought of moving the main menu bar inside the Displays Arrangement settings.

Thanks a lot for this.

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2020 11:53 AM in response to amartinez1660

I have known this trick for years.

I would rather have FCP let us name the displays and select them at will - instead of "Secondary Display", we could have Show on (name of display)->Browser; or at least have an option to determine which is the secondary display in the preferences, like we do for "A/V Output".

As it happens, the Arrangements tab of System Preferences lets us nominate a primary display (the one with the little menu bar), but not a secondary and terciary display. So the trick is start FCP on a screen that is not the primary; this will ensure that it uses the primary for the "second display".

Since all displays have menu bars, and even the Dock (depending on the Dock position and relative location), it is not really important otherwise which of the displays we name as "primary", and this works for FCP, so I don't have a problem with this "trick" :-)

[FCPX: 10.4.10] Three Monitors - Screens Setup Placement Bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.