Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stretch my FCP Timeline across TWO displays?

I'm a little confused here. I just got a Studio Display to act as a Secondary Monitor to my iMac 27", excited to be able to stretch the timeline across both displays and do a ton less scrolling, as well as being able to arrange clips across a wider area whilst still keeping the clip magnification reasonable...

Please tell me I'm wrong, but I can't find any way to actually stretch the timeline across both displays. I'm SURE I have seen it set up that way on other users' machines. I'm wrong and it IS possible... right?!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 11:46 PM

Okay thanks. Reluctantly returning the 2 Studio Displays for a refund and getting a Samsung Ultrawide instead. Wider Timeline is all I wanted. I have left Apple Feedback on their website too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 9, 2022 11:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Oh boy that's really disappointing, but thanks for the reply. I'm wondering what Apple was thinking here. Being able to see more timeline feels like the holy grail.

Moving slightly away, if I put the Viewer in the second display, on Desktop (Space) 2, then open Safari which is locked to Desktop (Space) 1 on the second display, the Viewer goes behind Safari, blocking the wallpaper. I'd rather have Spaces work as separate Spaces, not have to see my viewer whilst browsing the web.

Do you know any way to get the Viewer to stay on Desktop 2, not pop behind programs on Desktop 1? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2022 1:49 AM in response to AppleIIme

You CAN have the timeline across both displays!

There is a big trade off, though.

You’ll have to switch OFF “Displays have separate Spaces” in System Preferences->Mission Control.

That will bring back the way multiple displays worked circa OS X Mountain Lion.

You’ll lose menu bar on second display and full screen applications will just use one screen and black out the other.

Apr 10, 2022 4:48 AM in response to AppleIIme

There's a heck of a lot of info on curved monitors on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=curved+monitors+for+fcpx

The one from B&H shows the fantastic expansive timeline effect you can get . . . though he is using a windows PC!

Obviously as with everything there are pros and cons, one of the cons being that you need to sit at a specific (fairly close) distance to the display and be completely central.

This is presumably why curved TVs have died the death because though they may be ideal for one viewer seated centrally, most TVs are watched by family groups some of whom will be viewing off-axis.

Apr 10, 2022 2:00 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

You're right! It wasn't working for me because the 27" iMac sits slightly higher than the Studio Display, so the iMac screen arrangement is higher also. If you have FCPX extended to the screen top and try to drag it rightward onto the Studio Display, because the Studio Display is missing that inch at the top, macOS refuses as there's nowhere to drag it to. Moving FCPX top down a bit allowed it to enlarge to the Studio Display.

One of those rare occasions where @Tom Wolsky didn't quite get it right in saying "you can’t have it span across two monitors" and nearly led to Apple refunding two Studio Displays ;-) Thankfully you can have it span across two monitors. Although I appreciate Tom was thinking in terms of using FCPX's "Window" menu, not Desktop Spaces.

Thanks both of you!

Can I stretch my FCP Timeline across TWO displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.