Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shortcut key doesn't work properly

I upgrade to macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 and weird things happen. I'm currently use iMac 2012 and Macbook Air. I upgraded both computers to same Mac OS version 10.15.7 and the Macbook Air works just fine. But, the imac keyboard shortcuts behave weirdly.

First, the Command C for copy stop working. Then, to switch between languages input, I used to use command spacebar, and that doesn't work either.

I know that there a system preference and keyboard tap, which has two options to tick; show keyboard and emoji ... and Use F1 F2 etc keys as standard function keys.

I tick the second option which is use F1 F2 and it works for all other functions but not both the command C and command spacebar to switch the language.

Weirder is that, once I press fn key together with command and C, it works. The text was being copied. But, this doesn't work when I press fn key and command and spacebar, despite it is in the tab shortcuts/App Shortcuts. They both worked before I upgrade to version 10.15.7.

Somehow, I regret ever upgrade to newer OS version because things work as they were before normally and newer upgrade bring mostly headache.

Thanks for your reading and assistance.

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 9:37 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 2, 2020 9:32 AM in response to Yotsiri

That's your problem. There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

I recommend you uninstall all of those apps according to the developer's instruction.

Those apps were less invasive on earlier systems but with the more recent macOS systems they are extremely unnecessary and damaging to system and application performance.

Sep 30, 2020 8:25 AM in response to BDAqua

Sadder thing is that that cannot be done because iMac doesn’t have a keyboard attached to it. It uses Bluetooth keyboard which I guess on rebooting, the system runs everything until fully load before looking for a keyboard though Bluetooth connection. I mean I tried that already, it doesn’t enter into safe mood!!!

Oct 1, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes, thanks. I've never knew that. Still, I reinstall Catalina in recovery mode. It worked after installation, but after I turn off the computer and turned it on again this morning, the same problem came back. Now, command C doesn't work again, well as command spacebar to switch input language.

Oddly, though this time, when I push FN key before pressing the combination of command C, it works, but not for command spacebar.

Oct 1, 2020 9:44 PM in response to Old Toad

I run cleaning programme Tweak and Tune up , EaseUS CleanGenius and iCleanmemory daily or sometimes a couple of times a day. This may require another topic but I wonder why Apple wouldn't incorporate these cleaning into the system so we don't have to buy them separately. Seriously, because my system runs very slowly at times as I use many programmes as well as open many pages on Chrome.

I use also OBS application to stream live on Youtube as I am a broadcaster. I handle large amount of information daily in preparation for my scripts, which previously with keyboard shortcuts made it easier and faster. Now, as I work along more and more shortcuts are not working.

Oct 3, 2020 3:09 AM in response to Old Toad

I really don't think that these are the 'Problems' because I've been using these programmes for many years now, and as said I'm currently using two macs; one imac and the other is macbook air. There's no problem with MacAir which I'm running the same cleaning programmes.

As said, I'm broadcasting live connecting to radio station via intercom box; at the same time as live on youtube. I also use other applications everyday including open many pages on Chrome, and running realtime stock market streaming. That result in my systems running low on resources and I found that during the day, I need to run these programmes to free up resources on Macs which I have been doing for years.

The cleaning is necessary not just to make the system runs faster but to avoid crashing or inoperable.

Again, two mac systems running identical applications and upgrade at the same time but only imac has the problem.

Oct 5, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Yotsiri

To everyone who answered this question of mine, I successfully restore the computer from the time machine and now I am at August version which is Catalina version 10.15.6, and everything came back to normal. I back up a few files on my mac air and it works.

Thank you everybody, your advices each contribute in a large part for me.

shortcut key doesn't work properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.