Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store shows outdated Apple ID and doesn't allow entering password after update to Catalina

I updated my iMac to Catalina. After this update the App Store shows newer versions for several applications. When I press Update All, a password dialog shows up. The password field shows a greyed out Apple ID. Normally I would be able to enter a password in this field, but the App Store blocks entering characters in the field. Probably because the Apple ID that is shown, is not the Apple ID I'm logged in with. It's an outdated Apple ID that I'm not using anymore for a long time now.

Logging out and in of the Store doesn't help and I cannot update any application. Also when I click an individual application (and not the Update All button) the outdated Apple ID shows up. Even with applications that are purchased with my current Apple ID, as listed in the Purchase History.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 12:11 AM

Weirdly, the problem solved itself overnight. When I started App Store this morning, all updates were done automatically. So, still no idea why App Store behaved like it did, but it's not a problem anymore.

4 replies

Sep 30, 2020 6:27 AM in response to Yost

Try deleting the apps purchased with the outdated AppleID.

You should probably move them to an external drive so you can reinstall them, then eject that drive.

I don't know if you'll need to sign out and back in or restart to clear the "memory" of those apps with the App Store.

Other than that, contact App Store Support.

App Store shows outdated Apple ID and doesn't allow entering password after update to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.