Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch hard drive partitions.

I was updating to the newest Catalina version on my 2016 MacBook Pro but that only resulted in my being stuck in a loop of restarts. While trying to fix the problem, I accidentally deleted the partition of my hard drive with the OS. I have already reinstalled it.

The problem is, it took me to a new partition of my hard drive and not where my intact data is.

The following is what I can see from Disk Utility.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 7:20 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Oct 1, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Fix Process & Results:

1. Back-up device, if you can. Via Time Machine is the best way to do this. Otherwise, save your file via iCloud and/or physical hard drives.
  2. Restart computer if it is already on. Otherwise, boot up. Press Command + Option + R as soon as the screen lights up. Let go as soon as the Apple logo shows up.
  3. Go to Disk Utility. Delete errant hard drive partitions. Fair warning, if your FileVault was turned on(?) this might delete your OS as well.
  4. If your OS is deleted, you have to reinstall it. Close Disk Utility > choose to Reinstall macOS.
  5. After downloading, follow instructions on screen. These will be the same you had to go through when you booted up your device for the first time.

I don't know what happens if you don't have to reinstall your OS, but I had to. As a consequence, my hard drive was wiped save the apps I already had in it. This is why it's necessary to have a backup or two for your files. Reinstalling would also remove all configurations of your device (e.g. Finder files in list or icons, file sorting preferences) you set to your liking. In this scenario, you will have the latest version of the software but will have to manually do the other updates. For example, I had to download Safari 14.0. Lastly, I would recommend doing all the above when the internet is fastest in your area to reduce the download time for the OS.

Sep 30, 2020 10:36 AM in response to OxterQueen

I'd do what Grant Bennet-Alder recommended. Create a TM backup first if you haven't done so already. If you do not back up your Mac, then by definition you don't care what's on it.

From what you describe, I surmise you will want to delete the newer of the two Containers, since the older one is the working version you wish to retain. If the result is not what you expected, then restore the TM backup.

How do I switch hard drive partitions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.