Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find the Videos/TV app in iphone

I am setting up a new phone and cannot find the TV app (formerly Videos). It seems to have disappeared from the App store entirely. I don't want the Apple TV+ app -- I need the one that allows you to play movies that you've synced in MP4 format to the phone (i.e., Home Movies in iTunes).

Exact error message in iTunes: "iTunes cannot sync movies or TV shows to the iPhone "iPhone" because the TV app or the Videos app is not installed. You must download the TV app or the Videos app from the App Store on your iPhone in order to sync movies or TV shows."

It is these apps I cannot find.

Any help locating the apps is appreciated. Searching the app store has proved to be frustrating, and links I've followed on the internet for the old Videos app just give me an error message that it won't work on my device. Searches for the TV app are turning up nothing.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 9:20 AM

TV and TV+ are housed within the same app. TV+ is simply a subscription service within the app itself for content. The remainder of your personal content remains in the Library like it would have for the Videos app

4 replies

Oct 1, 2020 9:29 AM in response to nny1001

Thanks. I downloaded the Apple TV+ app again, but the only videos and TV shows I see in my library are the ones that I purchased from Apple. My home movies are still not there. I have a fitness video I use for travel that I want to access. It is in MP4 format but so far it seems that Apple only wants to display purchased movies in my library. I will try another sync from iTunes and see if it changes anything.

Oct 1, 2020 9:42 AM in response to nny1001

That worked! I resynced and my home movies finally came over, including the fitness video I wanted. I have two that refuse to go over as iTunes is saying they are the wrong format, so I'll look at those again and reconvert to MP4 if needed.

I really appreciate your help! When I first downloaded the Apple TV+ app, all I saw was movies that Apple wanted to sell me or ones that I purchased from Apple. I see the home movies and TV shows now, thank goodness.

Appreciate the speedy reply! I've been having all sorts of issues trying to get my new phone set up, so I was frustrated as well as baffled on this particular issue. I've set up new iPhones before, but I was replacing my iPhone 7+ so it has been quite a few years.

Wendy

Cannot find the Videos/TV app in iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.