Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Quicktime Keeps Freezing

I am using a Macbook air retina - 13 inch-2020 running MacOs Catalina version 10.15.7.

I use QT Player to screen record my daughter's volleyball highlights. I highlight a portion of the screen, record, and save to Imovie so I can produce highlight film

This morning, I was cutting film and my QT player quit working. It allows me to highlight area to be recorded and click on record. At that point, the highlighted area shows up (as usual) and everything freezes for ~15 seconds. Sometimes there is a spinning white circle over the area at this time. Then the screen goes back to normal. No error message appears. I have tried the following:

1. Using shift+command+5. Same thing happens.
  2. I have done a full recovery and reset.
  3. I have checked settings and all looks normal.
  4. When it first happened I went to finder and noticed that QT Player was listed under my icloud settings? When I tried to move it out it gave me the error couldn't complete action due to "code 2003"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 1:51 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 7, 2020 11:06 AM in response to kandpvanhoven

Greetings, kandpvanhoven.

It appears that you're having a problem using QuickTime on your 2020 MacBook Air. When you try to edit a recording to save to iMovie, it stops responding.

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac - Apple Support -- This page of the macOS User Guide provides the information and steps to use when an application freezes or quits.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- With the final step in this user guide, restart your Mac in safe mode and see if QuickTIme freezes when you edit a movie. Depending on whether it does nor not, refer to the following information:

"If the issue continues in safe mode

If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode

If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support."

Take care.

My Quicktime Keeps Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.