Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing iCloud documents on a new MacBook Pro

I have just used Migration Assistant to move everything from my 27" iMac with Retina display to my new 16" MacBook Pro. In order to see the documents that I have stored in iCloud, I assume I need to sign out of iCloud on my iMac and then sign in on the MacBook. I am worried, however, that if I click on the "-" sign to initiate the logout from iCloud on the iMac, I will end up deleting all of my iCloud files. My fear stems from the fact that when I did this 10 years ago, I received the message that all those files would in fact be deleted. An Apple tech support rep told me not to worry, so I went ahead and voila! all my files were gone. Luckily they were in my Library and I could manually upload them to the cloud. I don't want to go through that again. Can I now safely click on the "-" on my iMac, thereby logging out but preserving my iCloud files?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 12:39 PM

Hello rwcmt,

It sounds as though you're concerned about losing your data stored in iCloud Drive. It's very important to not lose that information, and you've come to a great place for help. When signing out of iCloud content synced to iCloud would remain there. You would notice content be removed from your Mac though. Prior to signing out on your iMac it is recommend to sign in to iCloud on your MacBook Pro to ensure the content appears correctly.

You can find additional information about iCloud drive in the following articles.

iCloud Drive FAQ

Set up iCloud Drive

Have a great day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 12:39 PM in response to rwcmt

Hello rwcmt,

It sounds as though you're concerned about losing your data stored in iCloud Drive. It's very important to not lose that information, and you've come to a great place for help. When signing out of iCloud content synced to iCloud would remain there. You would notice content be removed from your Mac though. Prior to signing out on your iMac it is recommend to sign in to iCloud on your MacBook Pro to ensure the content appears correctly.

You can find additional information about iCloud drive in the following articles.

iCloud Drive FAQ

Set up iCloud Drive

Have a great day!

Oct 7, 2020 3:48 PM in response to rwcmt

Thanks for your reply. As it turned out, the iCloud documents eventually began to populate and download to my MacBook Pro. There was nothing I needed to do. I was just alarmed at first when everything else transferred (mail, contacts, notes, etc.) but no actual documents. This reminded me of a similar transfer effort years ago when my iCloud documents were erased, but even then I was able to find them in the Library on my hard drive and transfer them back up to the cloud. In any event, all is thankfully very well now.

Accessing iCloud documents on a new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.