Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in to Apple ID, iCloud and internet accounts; probably because of deleted file from Library; how can I fix it?

In the case of Apple ID, I keep getting a message "Verification failed. An unknown error occurred." The same when I try to create a new Apple ID.

My Mac also had automatically logged out from almost all the apps (iCloud, Mail, Calendar etc.) and "Add" button in "Internet Accounts" is inactive, so I can’t add it back.

The most probable cause - I deleted some file/files from the Library folder, but I have no idea which one and how to fix it. [Now I know deleting was a bad idea].

Just in case: my internet connection is ok, I have a correct password, I have no problem to log in at apple.com, the notebook is the only device I’m using Apple ID at.

Please, help me fix this!

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 8:42 AM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account   

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

If necessary, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2020 8:42 AM in response to jul-k

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account   

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

If necessary, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

Can't sign in to Apple ID, iCloud and internet accounts; probably because of deleted file from Library; how can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.