Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does USB-C to HDMI adapter work with my monitor, but not using just thunderbolt 3.0

I bought a new monitor with support for Thunderbolt 3.0, HDMI 2.0 and Displayport. (LG 38WN95C-W)

I tried to connect the IPad Pro 12.9" 4th Gen via Thunderbolt 3.0 cable to my monitor. It did not work.

After searching for a solution I found out, that the USB-C port of the IPad Pro is using the displayport-protocoll to communicate with the monitor.

So I thought I will definately need an USB-C to Displayport Adapter to connect my IPad to the monitor.

Then I tried an USB-C to HDMI Adapter and it worked.

Does anybody know, if HDMI is using the same protocoll as Displayport?

What would you recommend me for the best video quality connecting the IPad to the monitor?

Which HDMI Version Adapter should I use or is there a benefit in buying and Displayport Adapter?

I would be very happy about recommendations! ^^

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 12:43 PM

Hey Dezzard, thanks for the quick and detailed answer! The product page of the cable you listed states this:

**Hinweis: Da iPad Pro nur das
Displayport-Protokoll unterstützt, unterstützt HDMI nur 2K bei 60 Hz und
nicht den Vollbildmodus.**

So i guess your assumption that the DP-Protocol is the problem is right. Unfortunately i need my DP-Port for my Desktop PC so that's not an option for me. I was hoping for full Thunderbolt3 compatibility but after more research i found an interesting fine print on this Apple support page:

1. Das iPad Pro unterstützt das UltraFine 5K-Display
(2019) von LG in 4K-Auflösung mit Video, Audio, Daten und
Stromversorgung. Das iPad Pro unterstützt keine Thunderbolt 3-Displays
wie das UltraFine 5K-Display (2016) von LG.

Which is... just confusing. After even more research i stumbled upon this USB-C to HDMI adapter. According to the product description and pictures (and unlike the official Apple adapter) it should actually support 4k@60hz for the iPad Pro 2018/20:

USB-C auf 4K@60 Hz HDMI-Video】 Folgende
Geräte unterstützen 4K@60 Hz: MacBook Pro 16 '' / 15 ''
2019/2018/2017(13' nicht unterstützt), iPad Pro 2018/2020, iMac
2019/2018/2017 und iMac Pro.

So i guess this sounds like the most promising option and i'll give it a try in a week or two. I'll sure to check back as soon as i have any results!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 12:43 PM in response to DezzardHD

Hey Dezzard, thanks for the quick and detailed answer! The product page of the cable you listed states this:

**Hinweis: Da iPad Pro nur das
Displayport-Protokoll unterstützt, unterstützt HDMI nur 2K bei 60 Hz und
nicht den Vollbildmodus.**

So i guess your assumption that the DP-Protocol is the problem is right. Unfortunately i need my DP-Port for my Desktop PC so that's not an option for me. I was hoping for full Thunderbolt3 compatibility but after more research i found an interesting fine print on this Apple support page:

1. Das iPad Pro unterstützt das UltraFine 5K-Display
(2019) von LG in 4K-Auflösung mit Video, Audio, Daten und
Stromversorgung. Das iPad Pro unterstützt keine Thunderbolt 3-Displays
wie das UltraFine 5K-Display (2016) von LG.

Which is... just confusing. After even more research i stumbled upon this USB-C to HDMI adapter. According to the product description and pictures (and unlike the official Apple adapter) it should actually support 4k@60hz for the iPad Pro 2018/20:

USB-C auf 4K@60 Hz HDMI-Video】 Folgende
Geräte unterstützen 4K@60 Hz: MacBook Pro 16 '' / 15 ''
2019/2018/2017(13' nicht unterstützt), iPad Pro 2018/2020, iMac
2019/2018/2017 und iMac Pro.

So i guess this sounds like the most promising option and i'll give it a try in a week or two. I'll sure to check back as soon as i have any results!

Oct 24, 2020 1:46 PM in response to ragemoody

Hey,

The product page of the cable you listed states this:

Ups... But the title states this:

[...] HDMI-Kabel(4K@60Hz) [...], iPad Pro, [...]

OK. For future purchases I will make sure to read the whole product description and not just only the title.

At least I can tell you, that the cable I bought from "uni" feels pretty valueable.

[...] but after more research i found an interesting fine print on this Apple support page: [...]
[...]
Which is... just confusing.

It is absolutely confusing. They should point out, that it is only possible to connect the IPad Pro via thunderbolt to a monitor, if the thunderbolt input of the monitor supports Displayport protocol. I would have saved quite a bit of time knowing that this is necessary.

I guess the adapter you've found should be capable for 4K@60Hz.

[...] (and unlike the official Apple adapter) [...]

Not so sure what you mean by that. On the product page of the official Apple adapter I've found, that it can handle 4K@60Hz for the newer Gen IPad Pros.

So if you really like the colour white and want to spend double the amount of money compared to the adapter you've found, then you should go for the official Apple product. ^^

jk.

Thanks for opening my eyes, that I bought a wrong cable.

Have a nice day!

Oct 24, 2020 11:58 AM in response to ragemoody

Hey ragemoody,

I bought the following cable:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075V5JK36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(uni USB C zu HDMI-Kabel(4K@60Hz), USB Typ C zu HDMI 2.0 Kabel [Thunderbolt 3 kompatibel])

Unfortunately, my IPad is not outputting the maximum resolution that is possible using this cable.

So I can not recommend this cable, even though they sell it as HDMI 2.0 cable.

I've read, that the HDMI-Ports of the Monitor (38WN95C-W) are HDMI version 2.0. So it definitely should be possible to transfer the 3840x1600 pixeils using an HDMI 2.0 cable.

Maybe the issue is, that HDMI is not using the Displayport protocol. This might cause a loss of resolution.

I'm currently using my monitor in combination with an 5 year old laptop (NP870z5g-x01de). I guess this laptop only has an HDMI 1.4 Port, nevertheless it can handle the 3840x1600 resolution using the HDMI cable that has been shipped with the monitor (5K ready).

For comparison I took two photos of my monitor screen when the same picture (res: 3840x1600) was shown. One time using my IPad Pro and one time using my laptop. I used the standard photo app by apple on my IPad and the standard photo program by Microsoft on my laptop.

The picture that looks sharper was outputted by my laptop.

IPad using the cable that I mentioned above:

Laptop using LG's HDMI cable:

I don't exactly know what the problem is.

Maybe I should have picked a USB-C to Displayport cable, because the IPad Pro is using the Displayport protocol to communicate with the monitor.

Or maybe they just sold a really old HDMI version that I don't even ever heard of.

I tried quite a few apps on my IPad in combination with the monitor.

Netflix (4K,HDR subscription) --> I tried to play titles that websites stated, that it is available in 4K on Netflix, but the IPad definitely wasn't able to output the maximum possible amount of pixels.

Amazon Prime Video: also no success.

AppleTVapp: Maybe it was HD, but definitely not more. As far as I know, you have to purchase one of these Apple TV Hardware type of things to enjoy 4K and HDR (but why... ;( )

Maybe it is a software issue, so it is not possible use this monitor with max resolution.

I would recommend you to try an USB-C to HDMI-2.0 cable. Maybe this works better, considering the IPad uses Displayport protocol.

If you buy such a cable and have success, please let me know. I would low to get the most out of my monitor using the IPad Pro.

Best regards

DezzardHD

Nov 1, 2020 2:37 PM in response to ragemoody

Hey,

I’ve bought the adapter you mentioned. It can handle 4K resolution.I tried watching HD (1080p) movies, but the video does not scale so that the full monitor screen is used.

For exemple, I tried to watch some random movie on netflix/apple tv/amazon prime. The resolution that was provided was 1080p. Then I was only able to use like 70% of the screen. I tried using the settings „original“ & „full wide“ on the monitor for the screen ratio and I also always toggled those arrows that are implemented in the software of netflix etc. to maximize or minimize the video. Nothing worked. I guess that‘s an software issue, but might also be a problem with the adapter.

Maybe I should actually try to buy the original Apple adapter.

Looking forward to hear from your experience report. ^^

Nov 5, 2020 4:29 AM in response to DezzardHD

Hey!

Soo, after reading that your test wasn‘t really successful (thanks!), i went ahead and bought the original Apple

USB-C->HDMI adapter. And well, it works! I bought the model A2119 (careful, i found many different model numbers of this adapter in the same Euronics store, and some of them are not 4K ready!). I also bought an HDMI2.0 cable from Vivanco, plugged both in and immediately got a pretty decent 4:3 HDR output. Then i started The Queens Gambit on my Netflix app and it went into full 16:9 resolution! Awesome! So fullscreen will work in some apps but not on the iPad OS system level. You can look at my photos at the bottom to see how it works.

For now i am happy and glad that i found a solution that’s good enough. Glad we figured this out together, thanks again for testing the other device and the constant feedback!

Nov 5, 2020 5:04 AM in response to ragemoody

Hey,

nice to hear from you again!

It seems, as if your monitor is configured to use "Full Wide" for the aspect ratio. Therefore your picture is getting stretch quite a bit. Regarding "Queens Gambit" on Netflix it is not so bad, because it is 4K content on Netflix.

Could you also try a normal 1080p movie on netlifx, like "Extinction". In that the picture in "Full Wide" aspect ratio-mode is really not nice at all.

I was actually able to imitate the behavior for Queens Gambit:

Without Full-Wide mode it looks more like this:

So far really nice team work!

Have a nice day!

DezzardHD

Nov 5, 2020 7:50 AM in response to DezzardHD

Well **** it, you are right! I was so happy that the first movie i fired up on Netflix seemed to work as expected that i never realized i had a stretched picture! :(

I did what you suggested and gave Extinction a try and you are totally right, it does not look good at all (sorry for the reflections, the sun decided to make it even worse ;) ):

Now i'm disappointed and i don't think i'll keep the adapter for such a high price if i can't find a way to make it work properly. I haven't had the time to get deeper into the monitor settings yet, but the quick look i had at them earlier wasn't very promising..

Thanks for clearing that up for me and you too have a nice day!

Why does USB-C to HDMI adapter work with my monitor, but not using just thunderbolt 3.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.