Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6 elevation / barometer not working

Hi everybody,

I got my new Apple Watch 6 yesterday, everything's working as expected except the elevation (eg. in the compass app). The weird thing is that position (lat + long) is displayed correctly.

Instead of showing the current elevation, it only shows ---.

I did research the whole evening yesterday, went through a dozen of guides, but the issue persists. I also didn't find anybody having three dashes displayed, most people experiencing issues had "0" shown for elevation or accuracy problems.

The watch is paired with my iPhone 8 Plus.

I somehow have the feeling that the barometer might be defect.

Did anybody experience the same / similar issue?

Thanks a lot for any help, very much appreciated!

Best

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 1:40 PM

This activity will fix that issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204516

However, the compass app now says my watch is about 250m above my phone, when in fact they are side by side.

9 replies

Oct 3, 2020 1:47 PM in response to TheToastMachine

Update: it started working today all of a sudden, but it keeps disappearing from time to time.

I also had issues with dictation, iMessage and phone calls. All these features were not working constantly and sometimes they couldn't be used without the phone being in range.

Up to now, the watch is working pretty inconsistently in the first 24hours

Oct 3, 2020 4:11 PM in response to TheToastMachine

Further information on what I did to get it working for me:

Following the 'Calibrate your Apple Watch' section from the above link:

Within the 'Watch' app on the phone: Goto 'Workout> Workout view> Outdoor Walk -

Edit METRICS and include 'Current Elevation' and 'Elevation Gain'.

Once this is done, continue with step '3.', setting the Outdoor Walk goal for 20 mins.

After a 20 min walk and the goal completed, the 'Compass App' was suddenly populated with elevation details and now works.

The issue I still have is that there is a Compass App elevation mismatch between my watch and phone.

My watch thinks it is 250m higher up than my phone. My phone is showing the correct elevation but my watch is not.

Apple Watch 6 elevation / barometer not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.