Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple shows my iPad as 'Delivered' – but UPS tracking proves it was returned to Apple as a 'hazardous materials irregularity'.

So, I ordered an iPad from @OfficialAppleCa which never arrived. The Apple order status says it was 'Delivered' and has billed me.

However UPS tracking shows it was returned to #apple tagged as a 'hazardous materials irregularity' and never even made it into Canada, much less to me. I have all the tracking numbers needed to prove this, but there is literally no Apple support available to me in any channel… no chat, nothing at all except a phonebot that supposedly puts me in queue which announces no support is available and hangs up. I was billed, and warranty started, but have no #iPad and no possibility of #customerservice.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get through to Apple to clear this up?

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 12:06 PM

8 replies

Oct 4, 2020 2:59 PM in response to Jamesd49

Thanks for responding Jamesd49.

I’ve called Apple Store Customer Service at 1 800 692 7753 three time today, and each time the bot collects the relevant information and then puts me in the queue for human support, which waits a couple of seconds and then announces that no support is available.

The chatbot, which is the only alternative to the phone number, just shows me a link to the phone number.

@AppleSupport on Twitter just sends me to https://www.apple.com/contact which has only the two options I have tried.

There is, as far as I can tell, no ticket system or email support available from Apple.

Is there a channel for support I am not aware of?

Oct 9, 2020 1:48 PM in response to stone-cat

Hi stone-cat,

In my case once I got through to a human support person, they understood the issue and as soon as the tablet was returned to them, they started the process of a refund, which has now come through.

The tech support person had never encountered this before... I’m thinking it is a new thing, perhaps a product barcode incorrectly flagged as hazardous, or even a human at the border who is incorrectly flagging tablets as hazardous material.

Was yours also a cross-border shipment to Canada?

Oct 10, 2020 4:52 PM in response to danbashaw

Yes it's shipping to Canada. It could be the battery inside that was not labeled correctly and it got rejected at the border. They told me the IPad will be shipped again but now I got an email saying the refund is being processed.

I'll try to get back to support later to confirm if the IPad is coming or not. Just an additional note, only the phone team has access to the case status, the chat does not.

Oct 10, 2020 5:19 PM in response to stone-cat

That would be my guess as well, that the shipping labeling did not properly identify it was a lithium battery device, or some other improper documentation related to it having a lithium battery. Especially since the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploding phone debacle of 2016 customs tends to get picky about the documentation for lithium battery devices.

Apple shows my iPad as 'Delivered' – but UPS tracking proves it was returned to Apple as a 'hazardous materials irregularity'.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.