Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Macbook not recognizing external Cd/DVD player but 2019 MacBook does.

Hi-

I have two LG Cd/dvd external players. I have two 2020 MacBooks, one 2019 MacBook, and a 2019 iMac.

The 2019 devices recognize the external cd/DVD player immediately. Runs perfectly through all the USB ports.

The 2020 devices don't recognize the external drives at all. Tried every USB port.

Note: the 2020 devices do recognize an external HDD I use for time machine backups.

I have no idea why the 2020 machines won't recognize the external cd/DVD players.

They external Cd/DVD devices are:

1) LG--Model: SP80NB80 (manufactured Feb 2020)

2) LG- Model GP65NB60 (manufactured March 2020)

Any thoughts on what to do?

I'd rather not buy another external CD/DVD writer/player. Lol.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 3:57 PM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2020 5:16 AM in response to wmoselle

Hello wmoselle,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your MacBook 2020 won't recognize your CD/DVD players, and we'd be happy to help.

To get started, We'd recommend checking with the CD/DVD player manufacturer if this player is compatible with your MacBook model, and macOS version running on your Mac.

If it is compatible, try to reset the SMC on your Mac by following these steps, and test:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

You can also, test with another user account on your Mac. Here's how to create one:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We definitely understand not wanting to purchase another player, so if non of this works, you can use share discs as explained here:

Use the CD or DVD drive from another computer with your Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

2020 Macbook not recognizing external Cd/DVD player but 2019 MacBook does.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.