Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie "Not Enough Disk Space"

I'm trying to make a new movie on iMovie, and I'm getting a message that says "not enough disk space" but there's only one other movie project on there so I don't understand. I also went in my user's movie folder and deleted some files there but it still doesn't work. Any advice? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 9:07 AM

7 replies

Oct 25, 2020 9:00 AM in response to necil

Yes. The projects are on your iMovie library that did not get redownloaded. You don't want to delete your iMovie library or you will indeed lose all of your projects. Once you have confirmed that everything is working properly with the newly downloaded iMovie app itself, you can empty the trash of the old iMovie app.

-- Rich

Oct 5, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Tadpole66

Hi, Tadpole66,

First, go to the Finder menu and click on Apple Logo/About this Mac/Storage and confirm that you do in fact have sufficient disk space. You should have about 25GB although iMovie can function at 5 GB.

If you have sufficient disk space, then try redownloading iMovie, that usually solves this issue. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases

displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder. Now see if the "not Enough Disk Space" is solved.

-- Rich

iMovie "Not Enough Disk Space"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.