Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad should show iPhone apps in portrait mode especially when mounted in the magic keyboard.

I don’t know who sees this, but it is so annoying when i have to open iPhone apps in the iPad pro while it is mounted on the magic keyboard and they show sideways.

I bet that’s a good design concern for an upcoming update...

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 8:23 AM

Your issue is with the App - not the iPad or iPadOS. Not all App developers choose to support Landscape mode in Apps intended for an iPhone.

You need to direct your feedback and feature request to the individual App Developer(s):

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

14 replies

Oct 6, 2020 10:12 AM in response to LotusPilot

Now I’m not quite sure you understand where I am getting at: I’m trying this another way.

(1) iPhone apps in the iPad are executed, handled, and controlled as if the iPad is a huge iPhone.

(2) It means: The orientation of the iPad will then orient the app as it would be on an iPhone.

(3) the app responds according to how it is designed (or programmed)

(4) the app then May not have a landscape orientation.

(5) the app then appears in portrait mode sideways, when the iPhone or iPad is turned on its side, I.e landscape.

(6) in an iPad: as it is mounted to a magic keyboard, so as to make it function more like a laptop, an iPhone app is in portrait mode still, laying sideways.

(7) as an iPadOS update, there should be at least an option, that the iPhone app in question, can appear in portrait mode, scaled accordingly, and positioned upright while the iPad is in landscape mode.

(8) this is independent of how apps are designed by third parties. The apps can behave exactly as if it was just designed for the iPhone. iPadOS will be aware however on how to handle iPhone apps in the iPad Pro for example.

Oct 6, 2020 11:46 AM in response to janjerick

Look guys I’m really talking about iPadOS being updated to handle such.

i design software and did program for iOS at some point.

i do get you all too that the app itself handles rotation and orientation of its interface within the device.

im talking about the OS itself handling apps that only support portrait orientation.

it isn’t impossible: but a design approach.

i mean you guys can say I’m flawed. It is okay. But then that’s why I’m explaining one way the situation could be handled.

Oct 6, 2020 12:10 PM in response to janjerick

Telling us is pointless. We don't work for Apple. No one on this user to user only forum works for Apple.

You can certainly provide feedback to Apple, but what you're suggesting is likely NEVER going to happen.

Take Instagram as a great example. Instagram is owned by Facebook. For years, people have asked for an iPad Instagram version. Facebook has never provided one. On iPhone, Instragram does NOT rotate. If you use the iPhone version of Instagram on iPad, since it was NEVER coded to rotate, even on iPhone, it will NOT rotate on iPad. Apple cannot change that. Period.

You can use the following link to provide feedback to Apple --> Feedback - iPad - Apple

Oct 6, 2020 8:33 AM in response to janjerick

To reiterate, this issue of the screen being oriented in Portrait mode is controlled by the App. It is the App Developer that codes the App to display in either Portrait or Landscape orientation.

Apple has no control over how third-party Apps choose to display their content. Some Apps are coded to display on Portrait (commonly Apps that are intended for iPhone), Landscape or both (more typical of universal Apps, intended to be used on both platforms.

Oct 6, 2020 10:21 AM in response to janjerick

We understand you completely. You are not understanding us. Apps are coded by the app developer. NOT APPLE. If the app is not an app designed for iPad to begin with, it's NOT designed for iPad. And ALL 3rd party apps rotation is coded by the developer. Apple doesn't own their code. Apple can't change their code.

Your points #7 and #8 are simply flawed in your understanding.

iPad should show iPhone apps in portrait mode especially when mounted in the magic keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.