Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 14 Bricked my Apple TV HD

I had auto-update tvOS setting on my Apple TV HD. Shortly after tvOS14 was released, my television only showed the Apple logo for several minutes, followed by a snow screen as the Apple TV rebooted, then back to the Apple logo. The white LED just constantly blinks.

I bought a USB-A to USB-C cable and hooked up the apple TV to my MacBook Pro, but it never connects. So then I used a Dell Windows PC. I downloaded iTunes onto it. But again, all I get is a constantly blinking white LED on the Apple TV, and no connection to the PC.

I think the tvOS update bricked my Apple TV! Now what do I do?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 3:35 PM

Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

If you did as described and still can’t restore, then you may need to take your Apple TV to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help.

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 12, 2020 6:02 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I had the exact same thing happened to me! I called Apple Support and also took my appletv hd into the store for troubleshooting. The rep couldn’t restore it either and so I bought a new Apple TV 4K since all my video that family watches is on an appletv. So frustrating!! The store rep said maybe others will report this problem and they come out with an update. I seriously doubt it after several weeks and not enough traffic being report on this problem.

Oct 15, 2020 12:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

When I called 800-apple, they didn't offer any suggestions other than to try another computer to restore the appletv with. So I then downloaded iTunes to my Dell AIO computer. It too did not recognize that the ATV was connected and never gave a hint it was.

The local Apple Store is still closed due to Covid, so any suggestions appreciated... I assume if I find a local Service Provider I will have to pay them to attempt to fix it.

Oct 18, 2020 10:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

So you think my network failed to properly download the tvos14 update? My network worked fine all evening during this process. My Apple TV is still bricked and not even an update with a usb c cable and a MacBook will fix the problem. As I said earlier, the update bricked my Apple TV. However the update bricked it, I should have the ability to unbrick it without cost.

Oct 18, 2020 2:53 PM in response to Flywest7

Yes I do, corrupt downloads can happen with any download. This can normally be traced back to a network issue within someones home. Unless you use a Mesh network and regularly check it's health and coverage that is what the issue most of the time. Millions of other users have had no problems, a few have and they post on forums like these and because they are either not aware of their own networks capabilities or don't check it for it's health they like to blame Apple or whatever vendor they use.

tvOS 14 Bricked my Apple TV HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.