Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 makes jackhammer noise on speaker

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, 15", that yesterday started making a jackhammer noise on the speaker. I am using Mojave 10.14.6. The noise is not all the time, but seems to happen sometimes when I transition between windows, or even tabs on my browser page. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have numerous windows open, or just one, or just my home screen and no windows. I'm not sure exactly what starts/causes it. Sometimes closing the window I'm in will stop it. Sometimes I have to restart. Sometimes I have to restart a second time.

This has become a nuisance. I have not been successful in trying Diagnostics, probably because I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Have you heard of this problem? If so, is there a fix?

I hate that, once again, I'm having a Mac issue within a couple of years of purchase of a very expensive computer. If there is not a free fix or an inexpensive one, this will likely be my last Mac after only purchasing Macs since 1984.

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.13

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 9:05 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 8, 2020 11:36 AM in response to IndyHavens

Please refer to If the internal speakers on your Mac aren't working - Apple Support.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, ... I am using Mojave 10.14.6.

Excerpted from the above:

Use the latest version of macOS

The first step is to make sure that you're using the latest version of macOS. Back up your important information and then update the software on your Mac.

Oct 8, 2020 12:37 PM in response to IndyHavens

If this could be described as "an echo resembling the clip-clopping of horses hooves", that has been discovered, posted about on these forums, and acknowledged as an issue. Be sure to "Contact Support" and add any information you can about what might be contributing to/causing this problem.

There is no really available resolution at this writing.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 makes jackhammer noise on speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.