Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black line across watch face

Has anyone experienced a black line going across the screen of their Apple watch? This is the fourth of fifth time this has occurred since owning it for under a month. The line only appears when the backlight is inactive, disappears when I wake up the watch. This is a series 6.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 10:03 AM

23 replies

Nov 1, 2020 8:52 PM in response to kyleniels

kyleniels, I'm also using the Activity Analog watch face (but with Subdials) and I'm experiencing the same issue. The black bar goes away when I swipe to another watch face and back (but it returns). This issue started for me after updating to watchOS 7.0.2; another issue that started at the same time is the Always On Display will sometimes go dark. After I 'flick' my wrist, the display lights up, and goes dark again (similar to covering the light sensor on an iPhone). Tapping the display seems to stop the issue. Do you have this issue as well?

I've already submitted a bug report at Apple Feedback and chatted with an advisor. The advisor suggested restarting the watch (I did that, but cannot tell if that resolves the issue because the black bar already went away while switching watch faces). The advisor also suggested unpairing and repairing the watch to the phone (have you done this)?

Nov 10, 2020 8:07 PM in response to niel35

Clearly, we are all using the Activity Analog watch face. Apple advisor called me again and would not let me off the phone until I agreed to unpair and re-pair my watch from the phone even though I told her I didn’t want to and would rather keep the black line. She ignored my request and kept pressuring me to do it. As soon as I started unpairing, she told me it’d take a few minutes and got off the line. It took nearly an hour to unpair! After I re-paired my watch to my phone, the black line was still there. Sad to say I’m disappointed how the advisor handled the call. I know that’s how they’re trained, but a little empathy and active listening could go a long way.

Mar 9, 2021 4:31 AM in response to kyleniels

Yeah! Same for me. Brand new series 6. Goes when I unpair off switch the watch off but is back again after a few days. I sent my watch back as I thought it was a fault. New watch has arrived and same issue. All support can suggest is unpair / switch it off and on again. Really annoying for an expensive piece of equipment when it appears solely to be apples software that’s the issue.

May 20, 2021 11:39 AM in response to kyleniels

was this resolved?

I am also facing this exact same issue since last 3-4 months. I reached out to online help and apple store 3-4 times and even sent my watch to support center. They could not replicate the issue and sent it back. Now I’m back to this black line when the backlight is off. Very frustrated with the support response and handling. They refused to replace the device even though it is under warranty

Black line across watch face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.