You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NO VIDEO, ONLY AUDIO WITH AIRPLAY

I’m trying to watch a video via AirPlay and I am getting audio, but no video. I can see my mirrored screen and am getting audio, but the video itself is just coming through as a black screen. What could the problem be? Will upgrading the HDMI cable fix the issue?

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 4:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 5:58 AM

apps and sites can choose to block airplay mirror if their DRM so direct that

netflix does that

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/6/18298146/netflix-confirms-it-yanked-airplay-support-wont-let-you-beam-shows-to-apple-tvs-anymore

many other content providers likely does it too

3 replies

Oct 9, 2020 6:33 AM in response to RUBEAR9

Depending on what content you are trying to AirPlay, the video of the stream may be blocked for AirPlay by the content provider.

Depending on what content and how you are trying to AirPlay, the video stream may be incompatible for AirPay.

The issue will not be due to the HDMI cable, if it is specific to AirPlay.

From what device are you trying to AirPlay?

To what model Apple TV are your trying to AirPlay?

What type of content, and where does it originate from? (Online streaming or from local file?)

NO VIDEO, ONLY AUDIO WITH AIRPLAY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.