Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different ringtone in AirPods while receiving a call and cannot answer calls.

Hi, I am using AirPods second generation with iPhone 11 iOS 14.0.1. AirPods firmware is also latest. Sometimes i have noticed that whenever i am using AirPods with iPhone and when i receive a call, i hear a different ringtone in my AirPods. When I anwer call with double tap, call is answered but I cannot hear the other end. This happens more often and is irritating. But if I hear the same ringtone which I set for my iPhone, then there is no issues. Forgetting the device and reconnecting solves it, but this happens often now. Tried resetting network settings, but getting same error again. Its frustrating.

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 7:45 PM

Actually, I figured out myself what the issue is. I noticed this issue after updating to iOS 14, watchOS 7 and latest AirPods 2 firmware. AirPods are getting connected to apple watch first rather than to iPhone. So I hear apple watch ringtone through AirPods. But strange thing is that even though it is connected to apple watch, I cannot hear the person on other side while answering the call with a double-tap. AirPods’ intelligent switching between devices, which is a new feature, is causing the problem. So the problem is like this: I get a call, I pull out my AirPods and plug it into my ear, it gets connected to Apple Watch first (hence the different ringtone), I double-tap on my AirPods, call get answered through Apple Watch and cannot hear the other party.

Solution: When a call comes and you realise that your AirPods are connected to your Apple Watch (by means of the apple watch ringtone) either answer the call with a double-tap, pull out your iPhone, tap on the little speaker button and change it to AirPods. It takes about 4-5 seconds if you are fast.

It is an uncomfortable solution now as it takes some effort which defeats the purpose of the AirPods.

Apple needs to figure out a way to address this issue as this problem arises from intelligent switching.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 7:45 PM in response to melissa_m77

Actually, I figured out myself what the issue is. I noticed this issue after updating to iOS 14, watchOS 7 and latest AirPods 2 firmware. AirPods are getting connected to apple watch first rather than to iPhone. So I hear apple watch ringtone through AirPods. But strange thing is that even though it is connected to apple watch, I cannot hear the person on other side while answering the call with a double-tap. AirPods’ intelligent switching between devices, which is a new feature, is causing the problem. So the problem is like this: I get a call, I pull out my AirPods and plug it into my ear, it gets connected to Apple Watch first (hence the different ringtone), I double-tap on my AirPods, call get answered through Apple Watch and cannot hear the other party.

Solution: When a call comes and you realise that your AirPods are connected to your Apple Watch (by means of the apple watch ringtone) either answer the call with a double-tap, pull out your iPhone, tap on the little speaker button and change it to AirPods. It takes about 4-5 seconds if you are fast.

It is an uncomfortable solution now as it takes some effort which defeats the purpose of the AirPods.

Apple needs to figure out a way to address this issue as this problem arises from intelligent switching.

Oct 14, 2020 6:17 PM in response to RiddlerA

Hello RiddlerA,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with your AirPods. We are happy to share information that may help.

First, reset your AirPods using the steps here: Reset your AirPods.

Also, restart your iPhone:  Restart your iPhone.

Finally, check for sources of interference using the information provided here: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference.

Take care.

Different ringtone in AirPods while receiving a call and cannot answer calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.