Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New updated version of Itunes does not sync Song Ratings / Comments to Playlists

I have the song ratings switched on , on both iphone Music and itunes on my desktop - as I had previously.

I have rated songs and synced them since the outset so I know it works, having rated and added comments to over 100k songs . I have noticed that they no longer sync. either way

I update song rating on iphone and synced - it doesn't update my desktop version and vice versa. It did yesterday before the latest update .

I also change comments on song in playlist on desktop - it doesnt sync across to iphone - yet there are no errors indicated.

Please advise what has changed since last update.

iPhone SE

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 10:32 AM

This was helpful - but not the root cause . Having looked at similar folk with the same issue , it transpires that , if you have the iCloud Library On - anything you do on playlists doesn't sync - such as updating song ratings .

The Comments thing, as you pointed out was a misnomer, - however, again if you add comments to your songs , it doesn't update them in the playlist that contains that song on itunes as you are using the cloud.

I disabled the cloud library, on both itunes and iphone and it syncs as before.

Note : the facility to add playlists also disappears if you are using the icloud library ( a bit crazy really as the only reason for playlists is for when you want to sync them with a smaller, mobile device) . So if you want to sync ratings , playlists etc between ipod/iphone and PC ,don't use the ICloud Library

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 10:32 AM in response to turingtest2

This was helpful - but not the root cause . Having looked at similar folk with the same issue , it transpires that , if you have the iCloud Library On - anything you do on playlists doesn't sync - such as updating song ratings .

The Comments thing, as you pointed out was a misnomer, - however, again if you add comments to your songs , it doesn't update them in the playlist that contains that song on itunes as you are using the cloud.

I disabled the cloud library, on both itunes and iphone and it syncs as before.

Note : the facility to add playlists also disappears if you are using the icloud library ( a bit crazy really as the only reason for playlists is for when you want to sync them with a smaller, mobile device) . So if you want to sync ratings , playlists etc between ipod/iphone and PC ,don't use the ICloud Library

Oct 10, 2020 7:20 AM in response to JDurance

Ratings and play counts are supposed to be synced in either direction if you're syncing with selected playlists. I don't recall that comments are ever listed in the Music app on a device. I don't know if anything has changed recently as I'm using Apple Music and syncing via the cloud rather than over USB. You can try using my script SyncStats to copy over recent changes.

tt2

New updated version of Itunes does not sync Song Ratings / Comments to Playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.