Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change email provider without losing folders and files?

I want to change email providers. WILL I LOSE the folders and files I have had set up, opened, read and filed. I wold hate to lose the information I have and need over many years. IMPORTANT STUFF...research articles, etc.

I already have AOL and want to switch to iCloud emails. Thanks for the details.

K9

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 7:17 AM

caninemiss wrote:

I want to change email providers. WILL I LOSE the folders and files I have had set up, opened, read and filed. I wold hate to lose the information I have and need over many years. IMPORTANT STUFF...research articles, etc.

K9

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Just because you add an account does not imply you have to delete your old account.

Set up iCloud Mail on your devices - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 7:17 AM in response to caninemiss

caninemiss wrote:

K9

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Just because you add an account does not imply you have to delete your old account.

Set up iCloud Mail on your devices - Apple Support

Oct 10, 2020 8:32 AM in response to caninemiss

caninemiss wrote:

Thank you - perhaps I left off a few facts, apologies - I am using AOL (using it in the apple window/email app, which "they" consider 3rd party) . I brought AOL basic and free email accounts into the apple email window, about 9 years ago-I read their missives and interpret them to be saying... if "you don't update to OUR Verizen/AOL SECURITY measures, setting/criteria, you will lose your aol account in the 3rd party app" HOPEFULLY ONLY MEANING Iwould have to get to my 2 current and different addresses AOL accounts using the "back door/web mail = inconvenient!) - If "THEY/AOL" or "I" stop using AOL server settings of AOL's smtp and IMAP, can I still see, read and print and send my older research papers and reports using iCloud, now to read and write and send ? Will iCloud take over so that I can use my AOL Miscellaneous titled folders and files?

You can always move your old emails to "On My Mac"—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/change-mailbox-behaviors-preferences-cpmlprefacctmbox/mac

Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

or you can export/import mailboxes from your old account

Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 10, 2020 8:05 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you - perhaps I left off a few facts, apologies - I am using AOL (using it in the apple window/email app, which "they" consider 3rd party) . I brought AOL basic and free email accounts into the apple email window, about 9 years ago-I read their missives and interpret them to be saying... if "you don't update to OUR Verizen/AOL SECURITY measures, setting/criteria, you will lose your aol account in the 3rd party app" HOPEFULLY ONLY MEANING Iwould have to get to my 2 current and different addresses AOL accounts using the "back door/web mail = inconvenient!) - If "THEY/AOL" or "I" stop using AOL server settings of AOL's smtp and IMAP, can I still see, read and print and send my older research papers and reports using iCloud, now to read and write and send ? Will iCloud take over so that I can use my AOL Miscellaneous titled folders and files?

How to change email provider without losing folders and files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.