Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail 12.2 - Formatted emails are not formatted correctly

Dear community,

I was wondering if there is a solution to this anyone could point me to:

I would prefer to format my emails. It just looks nicer, also I like to use bullet-point Lists in emails. Apple Mail allows for formatting of E-Mails and also setting a font for it, as I understand it.

When this is turned on, all emails I send are not displayed correctly on the recipients' side: All text above the signature has apparently no font setting and is displayed in respective recipient system font. If I use bullet points or any other formatting in the mail (e.g. bold text), this then too is displayed in the font I want on the recipient side.

Why is not the whole email formatted correctly, automatically? Is there anything I'm missing. Can it really be, that after so many years Apple Mail now has this feature, this STILL is buggy?

I really like Apple Mail and don't want to (and won't) switch to Thunderbird or any other mail program. Please tell me there is some solution to this.

Thank you!

C

PS: Here an image to illustrate how my emails are displayed by recipients. This happens consistently across ALL recipients who allow font display. It is not a recipient-side issue.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 1:22 PM

You can ask Apple to fix this via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

(People have been making this request for at least a decade without results, but you never know, this may be the year...).

7 replies

Oct 10, 2020 11:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I know this, but this does not cause the described problem. Recipients will display emails by their html or plain text, they will apply formatting as per their settings. But they will not as per their settings just switch around fonts within an email between my signature and the email body, or even between portions of the email that contain e.g. bullet points/bold text and those which don't.

Usually, if not always, this results in: I set a font in Apple Mail settings. In good faith, recipient email programs will display this font, but only, as mentioned, in signature or paragraphs with explicit format settings. This is not a recipient side setting issue, because the phenomenon occurs in all recipients (except those who only display plain text).

Oct 10, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, I suspected that this is still an unsolved bug. And meh, Outlook. ;-)

A bug, in the sense of: Why would it be intended operation to have a font setting that is applied to signatures and portions of an email that are specifically formatted (bullet points, bold text), but leave other text/paragraphs unformatted. Even worse, as seen in the image I posted, it seems to occur randomly.

Thunderbird, Outlook, other respectable mail clients: "Let's allow people to format their emails and do the best we can to display them as such, if our users want it and don't make other settings. We're actually pretty good at it by now"

Apple Mail: "Meh, I will randomly format whatever however"

Apple Mail 12.2 - Formatted emails are not formatted correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.