Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what does the black dot next to my text message mean

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:08 AM

I am having the same issue on my new iPhone 12. I don't understand what the black dot is. I believe the blue dot means unread, but what about the black dot.

The message does not have "hide alerts on" or anything else. What does the black dot mean?

27 replies

Oct 17, 2020 8:43 AM in response to jjtcf

Hello jjtcf,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're noticing a black dot next to a text message. We'll be happy to help.

Just to be sure, are you seeing a crescent moon icon from the conversation thread in the Messages app? For a visual of what we're referring to, please follow the section that says, "Turn on Hide alerts": Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't help, please answer the following questions:

1. Are you noticing the black dot upon receiving a text message or when you send an outgoing text message?
  2. Does it occur with a specific contact or all contacts?
  3. Were there any recent changes on your iPhone, since you've noticed this?

Kind regards.

Dec 2, 2020 12:19 PM in response to KBLack-Smith

KBLack-Smith wrote:

Why is Apple not responding to this question of the black dot??
no one mentioned a crescent.
Im having same thing occur.

This is a user-to-user forum. Apple's participation here is minimal. If you want to discuss the matter with them directly, use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forums.

Dec 21, 2020 11:09 AM in response to Mimi_2014

This happened to me today. Then when I charged my phone it began rapidly overheating. I deleted the string of messages and while the black dot message was gone, my phone was still overheating during charging. I did some more research, found this video and followed the instruction to use the 3D button to send a message afterwards, and that seemed to solve the problem.

Hope this helps someone else.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dec 23, 2020 2:32 PM in response to Joseph_S.

i hope Apple is still investigating the black dot. It is a black dot rather than blue indicating unread text. Its not a crescent moon.

In response to your questions-

1) All were on incoming text.

2) I’ve noticed on 3 contacts, first time was from Samsung, but last 2 were iPhones. All 3 contacts were on favs list (5 total) it’s not every text they send, only a few. And sometimes group text, sometimes not.

I use enlarged text.

3) I have had a deluge of spam text since around appearance of first black dot. Hope we can get answers from Apple soon. Thank you

Dec 23, 2020 2:35 PM in response to Imokareyouok

Imokareyouok wrote:

3) I have had a deluge of spam text since around appearance of first black dot. Hope we can get answers from Apple soon. Thank you

You won't get answers from Apple here in this user-to-user forum. If you want to discuss the matter with Apple, use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forums.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.