Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad apps

Suddenly my ipad is asking me for my husbands apple ID instead of mine to download an app. Then we both get the app on our ipads. How fo I change this?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 9:25 AM

You are clearly sharing a single AppleID for App purchases between your devices.

Whilst it is possible to share App purchases using this method, it is not recommended - as doing so can often have unanticipated implications. Far better to use the Apple Family Sharing service to selectively share Apps and Services:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

If you wish to resolve your current issue, on the iPad that your own iPad where don’t expect to be challenged for your husbands AppleID credentials:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Media & Purchases - you’ll need to enter your husbands AppleID credentials...

From the Account pop-up page that appears, tap the head-and-shoulders icon at top-left of this window - then select Sign Out of Store.

Having signed-out, you can now sign-in to the Store with your own AppleID. Now set-up Family Sharing using the supplied links. Either you or you husband will need to become the Family Organiser - to whom all subsequent purchases will be billed. Once set-up, you’ll be able to continue accessing and using (ie., “sharing”) both existing and future App and Media purchases.

If you don’t wish to automatically download purchased Apps to all devices that are signed-in using the same AppleID you can change this behaviour in Settings:

Settings > App Store > [Automatic Downloads] Apps - set to OFF

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful - both in understanding what/why you are seeing the observed behaviour - and in resolving the issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 9:25 AM in response to hitthebeach

You are clearly sharing a single AppleID for App purchases between your devices.

Whilst it is possible to share App purchases using this method, it is not recommended - as doing so can often have unanticipated implications. Far better to use the Apple Family Sharing service to selectively share Apps and Services:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

If you wish to resolve your current issue, on the iPad that your own iPad where don’t expect to be challenged for your husbands AppleID credentials:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Media & Purchases - you’ll need to enter your husbands AppleID credentials...

From the Account pop-up page that appears, tap the head-and-shoulders icon at top-left of this window - then select Sign Out of Store.

Having signed-out, you can now sign-in to the Store with your own AppleID. Now set-up Family Sharing using the supplied links. Either you or you husband will need to become the Family Organiser - to whom all subsequent purchases will be billed. Once set-up, you’ll be able to continue accessing and using (ie., “sharing”) both existing and future App and Media purchases.

If you don’t wish to automatically download purchased Apps to all devices that are signed-in using the same AppleID you can change this behaviour in Settings:

Settings > App Store > [Automatic Downloads] Apps - set to OFF

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful - both in understanding what/why you are seeing the observed behaviour - and in resolving the issue.

Ipad apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.