Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a POP email account in Mac Mail 12.4 Mojave?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 8:34 AM

I have done this several times. Apple mail by default makes the IMAP mail box. Unlike other mail apps they do not provide the choice between IMAP & POP directly.

1. Make backup mail box folders in your mail (on your mac) and move or copy all the mail from sent, junk, inbox etc, to those mail boxes that you want to save
  2. delete the IMAP account
  3. Add a new account by picking "other"
  4. enter your email address but add an additional letter after the .com and enter your actual password
  5. on the next screen put in your corrected email and password and pick "POP" and continue. This will then create the POP account
  6. You can now move your backup emails from "on your Mac" back to the main mailboxes as you so desire and you can delete the backup mail boxes

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 8:34 AM in response to Byron D

I have done this several times. Apple mail by default makes the IMAP mail box. Unlike other mail apps they do not provide the choice between IMAP & POP directly.

1. Make backup mail box folders in your mail (on your mac) and move or copy all the mail from sent, junk, inbox etc, to those mail boxes that you want to save
  2. delete the IMAP account
  3. Add a new account by picking "other"
  4. enter your email address but add an additional letter after the .com and enter your actual password
  5. on the next screen put in your corrected email and password and pick "POP" and continue. This will then create the POP account
  6. You can now move your backup emails from "on your Mac" back to the main mailboxes as you so desire and you can delete the backup mail boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.