Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Email

Suddenly I can’t get BT email. Error message says mail.btinternet does not support password authentication. Check imap settings. Mail works on web site but not on Apple app for mail

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 6:57 AM

Just an update. BT has three settings for their accounts. Basic standard and premium. The account I was dealing with was assigned a basic level which does not support Apple email facility, the other two do. I changed the email to standard and it is resolved. Thanks for your interest.

7 replies

Oct 13, 2020 2:53 AM in response to cyril264

Check your BT Mail account settings:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your BT Mail Account] > [Account] > Advanced

If the Mail account settings are correct, but the problem remains, first try a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If, after restart, the problem persists, the simplest route to resolution will likely be to remove the mail account from your iPad - then re-add the account using the Add Account wizard. No email messages will be lost - as, if using IMAP, all your email resides on the BT Mail server.

BT Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.