Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tiny spots on screen

Hi all,

I noticed some tiny spots across my MacBook Air screen while cleaning. Can you help me save a trip to the Genius Bar and figure out what caused these spots? I couldn't find any similar issues in the web. I'm not sure if the picture is clear enough...these spots reflects a rainbow effects when shining light on.

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 7:44 AM

Those spots have the characteristic appearance of repeated contact with the keyboard. There is very little clearance between the tops of the keys and the display glass.

I don't know of any way to totally prevent that from eventually occurring, but you can minimize their appearance by making sure nothing presses on the lid when it's in the closed position. That's not easily accomplished if you're used to routinely tossing the Mac inside a briefcase or bag; after all portability is what they're designed for.

Refer to Clean your Mac computer's screen or display - Apple Support.

Never use keyboard covers either, which just goes without saying.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 7:44 AM in response to Tran Thien Duy

Those spots have the characteristic appearance of repeated contact with the keyboard. There is very little clearance between the tops of the keys and the display glass.

I don't know of any way to totally prevent that from eventually occurring, but you can minimize their appearance by making sure nothing presses on the lid when it's in the closed position. That's not easily accomplished if you're used to routinely tossing the Mac inside a briefcase or bag; after all portability is what they're designed for.

Refer to Clean your Mac computer's screen or display - Apple Support.

Never use keyboard covers either, which just goes without saying.

Tiny spots on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.