Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Fitness Monthly Challenge

I have been using the fitness monthly challenge system and it has worked from a motivation point of view.

This month the data is incorrect - energy expended for a day is close to the aggregated data for the month. It grows incrementally but doesn’t match the reality of daily workouts, move goals etc.

in searching these Apple Discussions, this seems to occur from time to time. Has the underlying bug with data capture been solved.

I have rebooted the Apple Watch 5 a couple of times.

Appreciate any advice.

MikeOnABike

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 7

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 3:24 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 18, 2020 4:29 PM in response to MikeOnABike

Hi MikeOnABike,

We're glad to hear that you are enjoying the Monthly Challenges on the Fitness app. Rest assured that we’ll do our best to assist you.

We recommend keeping your device up to date. While it isn't inherently assured that an update will resolve the issue, updating to the latest version of watchOS can help isolate potential software issues. This article can guide you through the steps: Update your Apple Watch

We also recommend the articles below to help you calibrate and get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

We are committed to making sure that you get the most out of your Apple devices. Feel free to ask us additional questions.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2020 8:42 PM in response to CarlAVII

Just verified that my Apple watch is up to date.

The issue is not accuracy as the daily data seems consistent with workouts and movement. For example Move Trends' calories from the same App are 5208 kj per day. At this stage of 19 days in the month you would expect the total to be approximately 99,000 kj for the month. However the October Challenge current total states that so far I have only 'burned' approximately 23,000 kj. That is a discrepancy of at least 75% as my move kjs do not include other non 'move' energy expenditure such as High Intensity workouts.

Would providing more data be helpful because it seems you do not accept my evidence as being correct or true.

My theory continues to indicate that it is a system error, not the accuracy of my watch or whether I am on the current version of WatchOS.

Oct 19, 2020 2:50 PM in response to MikeOnABike

MikeOnABike,

We appreciate you providing us with these additional details. We'd like to make sure that we're on the same page. The daily reading that you get is accurate, however, there is inaccuracy in the summary of these daily readings, correct?

Have you had the chance to try the steps in the articles we've provided? We ask because as it mentioned in one of the articles, your Apple Watch can use details like your height, weight, gender, and age to calculate how many calories you burn and more.

Also, are you trying to view these details on your companion iPhone? If yes, have you had the chance to check if your iPhone is up to date?

These details can help us be in a better position to provide you further assistance, or get you pointed ion the right direction.

Take care!

Oct 21, 2020 6:18 PM in response to judysings

Yes, daily readings appear to be accurate. The inaccuracy has appeared in the October Monthly Challenge which displays a significant undercount of cumulative kjs based on my estimates drawn from workouts and movement. I have updated Watch OS and iOS on my iPhone.

if I click on the Monthly Challenge icon for October in the fitness app on the iPhone- the app indicates that last month I used ~163000 kjs over 30 days of September whereas after 20 days of October I have only burnt ~26,000 kjs. The rate per day has has dropped from ~5400 kj per day to ~1300 kj per day which does not match expenditures.

Something in the way the running total is being calculated seems to be in error.

The error in the count is demotivating!

Oct 23, 2020 11:04 AM in response to MikeOnABike

MikeOnABike,

Thank you for confirming. If you already had the chance to try all the steps in the articles we've provided, we recommend that you reach out to our Health & Fitness experts.

You can use the link below to reach out to them. Select Apple Watch > Health & Fitness > then, pick the topic that best describes the issue or select "The topic is not listed" and provide a brief description of the issue.

Get Support

Our Health & Fitness experts are in a better position to provide you further assistance with these types of issues.

Cheers!

Apple Fitness Monthly Challenge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.