Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Iphone 7 plus from ios 11.2.1

I've been trying to update my iphone, it is currently on ios 11.2.1 when I go to settings and click on "Software update" it says "Unable to Check for Update" even when I try different networks. I also tried connecting it to itunes and updating it there, I updated itunes to the latest version and downloaded the new ios update but after its done "extracting software" and "backing up iphone" it gives me the error "The iphone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000)".

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 10:40 AM

Guest_404,

Thank you for those details. Next, let's try to place your device into recovery mode and attempt to update: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once your device is in recovery, attempt to update first before attempting a restore. Restoring would cause your device to lose all of its data and you would need to load from your backup if that happens.

Let us know the results.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Guest_404

Guest_404,

Thank you for those details. Next, let's try to place your device into recovery mode and attempt to update: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once your device is in recovery, attempt to update first before attempting a restore. Restoring would cause your device to lose all of its data and you would need to load from your backup if that happens.

Let us know the results.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2020 4:44 PM in response to Guest_404

Hello Guest_404,

It sounds like you are getting an error every time you attempt to update your iPhone. We understand how much on an inconvenience this can be, and we are here to help.

We have a few article that may be able to help. First we would recommend reviewing all of the steps outlined here: If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you are still experiencing issues after completing the above steps, review the steps outlined in this article: iOS update and restore errors

If the same errors appears, please provide more details. Which computer and OS are you currently using to update?

Do you have access to another computer? Also, do you currently have a backup of your device?

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2020 5:20 PM in response to CarlAVII

I've followed all the steps to the links that you've provided however I'm still getting the same error "The iphone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000)". The computer I am using is a ROG GL502VM laptop I am on OS windows 10 home, I do not have access to another computer unfortunately and I do have a backup of my Iphone that I created before I tried to update it.

Unable to update Iphone 7 plus from ios 11.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.