Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone XS Max is dead after ios 14 !!!

I used my IPhone XS Max for only 1.5 years. It was in perfect condition: never broken, never damaged, even no scratches. On 11.10.2020, after I have installed the new ios 14, my IPhone suddenly switched off and didn't provide any signs of life. Only the Apple logo was active on the screen. After I brought it to Apple Store in Geneva, Switzerland, I was informed that this phone cannot be fixed and it should be thrown away. The only solution that was provided to me from Apple Store team - to buy the new one.

You will ask about guarantee? Well, since this phone was purchased in New York, I discovered, that International guarantee works only for 1 yearonly (shocked!), the 2nd year is not considered at another Apple Stores worldwide and they will not be able to help you / to replace the phone / if you live in another country (Switzerland in my case).

So what we have? The IPhoneXS Max, which is not the cheapest option in Apple and which was purchased in the "capital" of Apple brand - New York, is dead because of their new ios14 and the only solution that Apple has for me - simply to buy the new one at my own cost??? Insane.

Being a loyal customer of Apple for more than 10 years, I am deeply frustrated by their service and clients' approach!

What is more: I have been treated by very rude Apple store employee in Geneva official store, who by all means showed to me that he will not waste his time on this issue and who clearly told me: "this software is ****, you can only throw it away and buy the new one. Since it was purchased in New York, it is not our problem. I cannot help you." Only after a communication with the store manager, I managed to get 50% discount for the old model of IPhone XS Max. Nevertheless the local store manager did an effort from his side, with all my respect to Apple brand, I do NOT understand why it is the client who should pay and who should buy the new phone if it was clearly a technical problem caused by the new ios 14?

So please, think twice before updating your software with Apple... Probable you need to prepare your extra budget to buy a new phone "in case".

I will definitely not leave this case and will try to get an answer WHY the clients of Apple should pay for their technical mistakes.

Anna from Geneva, Switzerland

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 9:53 PM

Same here!! iPhone XS Max 256GB dead 3 days after ios 14 update! It got so hot when I was using it, never happened before on old iOS. It even had temperature warning come up. My battery health was 93%!! Phone was like brand new zero damage, no water damage and took it to apple store after it wouldn’t turn back on and they said CPU died. All because of overheating from the new IOS. They tried to get me to buy a new phone. BS! My iPhone would still be alive right now if I didn’t update. Very sad I’m a 10 year Apple user as well.

While I was waiting to be seen by the Genius Bar I met another guy who had the SAME iPhone XS Max also die when he updated to IOS 14 just days after! There is a problem here and it’s not consumers fault. Apple I believe your faulty software cause my iPhone to overheat and short my GPU. Just made no sense never had I ever had overheating issues with my iPhone that I was using indoors in a cool AC on room.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 9:53 PM in response to IPhone10SMax_Switzerland

Same here!! iPhone XS Max 256GB dead 3 days after ios 14 update! It got so hot when I was using it, never happened before on old iOS. It even had temperature warning come up. My battery health was 93%!! Phone was like brand new zero damage, no water damage and took it to apple store after it wouldn’t turn back on and they said CPU died. All because of overheating from the new IOS. They tried to get me to buy a new phone. BS! My iPhone would still be alive right now if I didn’t update. Very sad I’m a 10 year Apple user as well.

While I was waiting to be seen by the Genius Bar I met another guy who had the SAME iPhone XS Max also die when he updated to IOS 14 just days after! There is a problem here and it’s not consumers fault. Apple I believe your faulty software cause my iPhone to overheat and short my GPU. Just made no sense never had I ever had overheating issues with my iPhone that I was using indoors in a cool AC on room.

Oct 23, 2020 1:09 AM in response to jeremy2994

I am very sorry to hear that and I am shocked with Apple, their customer service....in the end I had to buy the new Phone ....at my own cost. yes, with some discount that I managed to get after a conversation with manager, but I do NOT get why it is the customer who should pay for their technical mistakes ??? moreover, we clearly understand that all that was done in purpose, to push us for a purchase of a new iPhone, which is directly connected with the release of iPhone 12..... sad, disappointing, frustrating....

IPhone XS Max is dead after ios 14 !!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.