Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Siri suddenly asking if i want to call or text when I already asked her to send text message?

I send text messages using Siri all the time.

I say “Hey Siri, new message to John Smith”

and she normally asks me what I would like to say.

TODAY (without doing any upgrades - I’m at iOS 13.7) When I say “New text message to John Smith” she replies “Do you want to call or send a text message” which is irritating cause I’m already busy hence asking Siri to perform the task.... But wait...

I begrudgingly ask her to send text, then she asks Who I want to send the text message to. Which has now reallllly made me angry because I already told her who I wanted to send the message to and by now I could have already sent the text by hand.

Anyone else experienced this?

I assume because I have not upgraded my phone, this is an internal Apple shenanigan with Siri’s Cloud Servers.

I hope (but I realize the futility) that someone from Apple will read this and fix the problem before Apple Care has to fix the phone when I smash it the next time I am driving and need to send a text.

iPhone

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 3:10 PM

I asked some other people who have iPhones and the majority of them just say “Hey Siri, text John Doe”

and that seems to work for me as well.

I think the most frustrating thing is that something that was working, stops working and there is no explanation that a change has been made or why. Nor is there a manual that comes with your iPhone telling you exactly how to do things. You find a workflow that works and stick with it. That is, until someone changes it for no reason.

However... your link labeled “Send and receive text messages...” above actually takes me to what looks like an iPhone manual that I did not know existed. So, thank you for the link!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 3:10 PM in response to ryane77

I asked some other people who have iPhones and the majority of them just say “Hey Siri, text John Doe”

and that seems to work for me as well.

I think the most frustrating thing is that something that was working, stops working and there is no explanation that a change has been made or why. Nor is there a manual that comes with your iPhone telling you exactly how to do things. You find a workflow that works and stick with it. That is, until someone changes it for no reason.

However... your link labeled “Send and receive text messages...” above actually takes me to what looks like an iPhone manual that I did not know existed. So, thank you for the link!

Oct 19, 2020 2:36 PM in response to Spencerator

Hi there Spencerator,

It sounds like Siri isn't responding in the way you expect when attempting to send a message using your iPhone. We're glad you're here, and we can help. To start, you’ll want to be sure your iPhone is running the latest software version, iOS 14.0.1. If needed, this article provides step-by-step instructions for updating:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once your iPhone is up to date, you'll want to be sure to follow the guidance in this link for using Siri to send messages on your iPhone:

Send and receive text messages on iPhone

We hope this helps. Take care!

Why is Siri suddenly asking if i want to call or text when I already asked her to send text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.