Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2014 won’t connect to projector

Hello. I have a MacBook Air (early 2014). I am trying to connect it to my 2013 Epson projector. I have it connected via thunderbolt-> HDMI. When I got into display setting there is no “arrangements” tab to select the projector. My old MacBook 2010 had this :( All my googling shows the display settings window had this “arrangements” tab but my MacBook doesn’t. Help! Any idea how I can get my Mac to connect to external display?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Surfsista Said:

MacBook Air 2014 won’t connect to projector: [...]My old MacBook 2010 had this :( All my googling shows the display settings window had this “arrangements” tab but my MacBook doesn’t. Help! Any idea how I can get my Mac to connect to external display?

———-

Three Thoughts:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for HDMI or for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold down the shift key upon boot. This will get you into Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, caches are trashed, and all items are set to how they should be, in preparation for the next time you boot up normally.

C. Adapter:

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

I use it on my projector. As for the HDMI port, I use a low-end cable to connect it to my projector, and it works just fine. You might need a high-HDMI cable (i.e. Monster brand), if this projector is hight end.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 8:14 PM in response to Surfsista

Surfsista Said:

MacBook Air 2014 won’t connect to projector: [...]My old MacBook 2010 had this :( All my googling shows the display settings window had this “arrangements” tab but my MacBook doesn’t. Help! Any idea how I can get my Mac to connect to external display?

———-

Three Thoughts:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for HDMI or for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold down the shift key upon boot. This will get you into Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, caches are trashed, and all items are set to how they should be, in preparation for the next time you boot up normally.

C. Adapter:

Use this Adapter: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

I use it on my projector. As for the HDMI port, I use a low-end cable to connect it to my projector, and it works just fine. You might need a high-HDMI cable (i.e. Monster brand), if this projector is hight end.

MacBook Air 2014 won’t connect to projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.