Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with external display

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) and have since had issues with my external display. The display keeps disconnecting randomly and mostly I end up reconnecting the cable frequently. I have noticed that often the connection gets lost when I plug something into one of the other USB-C ports on my MacBook and sometimes just randomly. Is this a problem related to the display or my MacBook?

I have tried to use both USB-C to HDMI and USB-C to DisplayPort.

Also I have tried resetting NVRAM on my MacBook and the problem remained.

I looked for a driver from HP's website but it doesn't exist for Mac.

Have any of you had similar issues with an external display? Is there any solution?

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 7:09 AM

Have you tried connecting the monitor to a different USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop?

Is anything else plugged into the dongle used for the monitor? If so, then disconnect those items from the dongle.

Is anything plugged into the monitor? If so, disconnect them from the monitor.

Try an SMC reset.

Do you have another external display you can test with? Maybe a TV?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 7:09 AM in response to AnotherGenericUsername

Have you tried connecting the monitor to a different USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop?

Is anything else plugged into the dongle used for the monitor? If so, then disconnect those items from the dongle.

Is anything plugged into the monitor? If so, disconnect them from the monitor.

Try an SMC reset.

Do you have another external display you can test with? Maybe a TV?

Oct 19, 2020 6:21 PM in response to AnotherGenericUsername

Are these good quality display cables which can support a 4K display?

What type of devices are being plugged into the laptop that cause the display to go out? Does this happen if the devices are being attached to the USB-C ports on the other side from the monitor?

I don't have a lot of experience with USB-C connected displays. I do know that a lot of monitors tend to have some weird idiosyncrasies in general. Have you tried contacting HP for support or checking the HP website for documentation and FAQs about this monitor?

Problems with external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.