Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch control panel/notifications don’t work

As many have noticed a thousand times and for a long time, this issue is still happening in the newest apple watch series 6. The control panel or notifications won’t open although everything else works. I have to force reset my watch almost every morning and sometimes multiple times in one day. Usually the problem is in the morning, and it’s really frustrating. How is this still not fixed? Will it cause problems to force reset a watch daily or even more often?

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 12:13 AM

I know control panel does not open on home screen. When this happens it doesn’t matter if I’m on the watch face or in an app. On watch face up/down swiping doesn’t work, but switching watch faces swiping left/right works. In an app, long tapping and swiping them open doesn’t work either.

Both work perfectly fine after a forced reset, and then at some point along the day it just stops working again and I have to force reset again. Yesterday I had to do this three times. Once in the morning, then at work and lastly as I was going to bed.

I do have all-around protective case , but taking it off doesn’t help. It shouldnt be pressing any buttons either, as the case has holes where the buttons are. (If it matters, this is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/pzoz-Compatible-Protector-Accessories-Coverage/dp/B07R4HQRXP )

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 12:13 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I know control panel does not open on home screen. When this happens it doesn’t matter if I’m on the watch face or in an app. On watch face up/down swiping doesn’t work, but switching watch faces swiping left/right works. In an app, long tapping and swiping them open doesn’t work either.

Both work perfectly fine after a forced reset, and then at some point along the day it just stops working again and I have to force reset again. Yesterday I had to do this three times. Once in the morning, then at work and lastly as I was going to bed.

I do have all-around protective case , but taking it off doesn’t help. It shouldnt be pressing any buttons either, as the case has holes where the buttons are. (If it matters, this is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/pzoz-Compatible-Protector-Accessories-Coverage/dp/B07R4HQRXP )

Oct 27, 2020 12:32 PM in response to KMB_12

Thank you, I have actually never contacted Apple support before, so this was new to me!

If anyone has the same problem in the future: removing the pairing between my iphone and watch and restarting the watch from the beginning worked. I also chose the option to restart the watch as new, because I didn’t have any information that I absolutely needed to save on my watch.

Now I haven’t had any issues in almost a week, so it definitely fixed the problem!

Oct 19, 2020 5:12 PM in response to Tiseyo

Hello Tiseyo,

We see that you have some concerns with your Control Panel or Notifications not opening as expected on your Apple Watch. Just to confirm, are you on the watch face or app list of your watch when trying to swipe to open? Per Use Control Center on Apple Watch - Apple Support: "You can’t open Control Center from the Home Screen on your Apple Watch. Instead, press the Digital Crown to go to the watch face or open an app, then open Control Center."

Additionally, do you have any kind of screen protector or cover over the face of your Apple Watch?

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Apple watch control panel/notifications don’t work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.