Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to play media in car whlist iphone is charging

Hi,

I wonder if any else has expereinced this issue

My iphone is sync to my car and connects automatically whilst I am driving. I play all my media via bluetooth, whenever it needed charging and was plugged in, it would switch from bluetooth to MP3 (I think), and continues to play.

Recently this has stopped. Anytime my phone is plugged into charge it will no long play anything. Instead I get a message that tells me there is no playable files available - this can be really annoying, especially on long drives!

Nothing (as far as I'm aware) has changed. I am hoping that someone else has come across this and has found a fix - if so, please share.

I have an iphone 8.

Thanks

Sam

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 6:37 AM

Hello Sunshine_smile,

It sounds as though your radio may not automatically be connecting to your iPhone as expected, and playing your audio via Bluetooth as expected. To ensure we're able to provide the best support can you let us know if the radio and iPhone are recognizing as being connected? For example, if you go in to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPhone does it show the iPhone is connected to the radio? If not, you may have to reconnect your device to the radio.

If you're having issues reconnecting to your device we recommend completing the steps outlined in:

How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car

If you're having different issues please let us know in more detail what's going on.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Sunshine_smile

Hello Sunshine_smile,

It sounds as though your radio may not automatically be connecting to your iPhone as expected, and playing your audio via Bluetooth as expected. To ensure we're able to provide the best support can you let us know if the radio and iPhone are recognizing as being connected? For example, if you go in to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPhone does it show the iPhone is connected to the radio? If not, you may have to reconnect your device to the radio.

If you're having issues reconnecting to your device we recommend completing the steps outlined in:

How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car

If you're having different issues please let us know in more detail what's going on.

Have a great day!

Oct 20, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Todd0213

Hiya,

Yes my phone is shouting as being connected to my car system and does this automatically as I switch on the engine.

I've attached two photos, one showing the screen message which pops up when I plug in the USB lead and the other showing the screen message when I have ok’d the first message.

I have also tried to unpair and repair my phone and car system but get the same results. It’s worked fine before, I don’t know what’s changed and I haven’t changed cars so should still be ok.

Any support you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2020 2:12 PM in response to Sunshine_smile

Hello Sunshine_smile,

Thank you for adding those photos, and providing those additional details about what happens when connecting your iPhone to your vehicles radio. From the photos you provide it appears your vehicles radio won't allow both types of connections. If you want to keep the device connected via Bluetooth, and playing audio over Bluetooth it's recommend to connect your device to a different USB port if possible to charge your device.

With the second message you're seeing do this may likely be showing if you stream music, and don't have content downloaded directly to your device. For assistance with your specific radio, and the messages that are show we would recommend contacting the vehicles manufacturer.

Take care!

Oct 20, 2020 2:18 PM in response to Sunshine_smile

My car has difficulty switching at times from Bluetooth to USB playing (but my car also has Apple CarPlay, so that could be the issue for me). Why not just get a car charger (one that plugs into a cigarette lighter) for when you need to charge your iPhone and that way the car will not see the iPhone as connected via USB only via Bluetooth?

Oct 20, 2020 2:40 PM in response to Jeff_W.

This is a new issue which has only recently come up.

I know I can’t use both Bluetooth and usb at once which is fine. The message which notifies me that I’ve plugged in a charger and will switch off my Bluetooth has always happened and I’m ok with that one.

Previously, once I’d plugged in my charger my music would play via cable, but for some reason this has now stopped. It never mattered before whether I was streaming or playing downloaded music.

Can anyone suggest a fix for me?

Unable to play media in car whlist iphone is charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.