Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIme Capsule: New set up. "No Internet Connection" iphone

Just moved. Modem set up by cable guy. Check. Time capsule connected to modem. Check. Macbook connected wirelessly. Check. All good. Nope. Iphone connects to, and is seen by, the TIme Capsule but reports 'no internet connection'. To restate - my macbook connects perfect, but my iphone connection has no internet. i tried all the normal resets and restarts. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 10:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 15, 2020 11:43 AM in response to Bob Timmons

fast reply. thanks. Modem is CISCO Model DPC3008. Router is set to BRIDGE mode. Cat cable is correctly attached (but you made me double check!). I just tried connecting a different Mac powerbook. NO GO. Maybe this is a clue? The IP address is a 172 number. But on the iphone and mac pb that do not get an internet connection, the ip is a 169 number. i tried manually overriding to a 172 number on the pb, but it did not work.

Oct 15, 2020 12:18 PM in response to iciclesteve

Bridge Mode is the wrong setting for the AirPort Extreme with the type of modem that you have.

The AirPort Extreme needs to be set up in a Router Mode of DHCP and NAT

When the AirPort restarts after you update the settings.......

Power off the modem completely by pulling the power supply cable or pulling the AC cord from the wall jack

Power off the AirPort Extreme

Wait at least 5 minutes. 15 or more would be better.

After the wait period, power up the modem and let it run for a few minutes all by itself

Then, power up the AirPort Extreme

Unless you have previously changed other settings on the AirPort Extreme, your devices will be receiving IP addresses in the 10.0.1.x range. By default, the AirPort Extreme will be at a LAN IP address of 10.0.1.1. The IP address of the AirPort Extreme can be virtually anything. It will not be anything like 172.16.x.x though.

Test other WiFi devices to see if they will connect to the Internet.

Oct 15, 2020 1:14 PM in response to iciclesteve

Your ISP whoever that is are handing out private IP addresses..

Is this special building internet setup? Not one of the big cable internet providers?

Talk to your ISP because this kind of setup always leads to issues.

Generally they say you are supposed to connect one client only directly to the modem.. but in your case if you want to share the network you MUST double NAT and just ignore the issue.

Very important.. 172.16.1.x is used by Airport for Guest wireless.. so do not use Guest wireless without fixing the IP range.

TIme Capsule: New set up. "No Internet Connection" iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.