Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPhone 12 stick to magnetic car mounts?

Will the iPhone 12 be able to stick to a car magnet mount? For example currently I stick the mount to the dashboard using 3M tape. I adhere the metal mounting plate inside my iPhone 8 case and the magnet mount holds my phone.

However, the metal plate will interfere with wireless charging so as that has to be removed, will the iPhone 12 stick without that metal plate?

Not sure it's even a question that can be answered yet!

iPhone

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 12:16 PM

30 replies

Nov 3, 2020 6:00 AM in response to Kelspeth

The iPhone 12 sticks to my car magnet mount without a problem if I do not have a case on the phone. I have tried two cases - one very thin and the other ordered from Apple, and both cases prevent the phone from sticking to the car mount. Since I hesitate to add an additional magnet to the case, I am hoping Apple comes out with a case that does not interfere with the magnet in the phone.

Oct 23, 2020 9:31 AM in response to Kelspeth

I would assume this question shouldnt be that hard to answer for Apple support. I assume Iphone 12's attract to the magsafe plate 1 of 2 ways.... Either the charging PLATE is a magnet, and the PHONE has ferrous metal in it required for attraction , or, the PHONE has a magnet in it and the PLATE is some type of ferrous metal. I highly doubt the actual phone has the magnet built into it for a number of reasons. (one reason being it would always be picking up little bits of ferrous metal debris that it happened to come across. Therefor the plate is most likely the magnet and the phone has the metal in it. If so, then ANY magnet would attract to the back of the phone. Can anyone confirm this?

If the above is correct, then it will probably come down to the shape and orientation of the metal in the phone. If it is only a ring of metal that aligns perfectly with the outside diameter of the PLATE, (leaving most of the area in the middle for the wireless charging electronics.... then the phone will probably not work with any shape of generic magnet. Or at least it wont be strong enough to support the phone because there will only be small portions of metal ring to plate connecting to eachother. IF the magnet diameter was larger enough to cover the entire ring of metal in the phone then theres no reason why that would not work.

Oct 23, 2020 4:44 PM in response to KiltedTim

thanks bud. dually noted...

anyhow the information of what i posted is exactly correct... i went out and bought one 2 hrs after posting... the PLATE is the magnet and the phone has a ring of ferrous metal. the phone sticks to any car magnet but BARELY because its just the small ring. However... you can put the magsafe plate onto the phone and then stick that to your car magnet... as long as your car magnet has rubber on it it works great.

Nov 3, 2020 9:28 AM in response to kberry60

I too hesitate to add an additional magnet. It’s still too early I reckon. Hopefully they will release a MagSafe mount / charger combo soon. The one I see that is made by Belkin is just a mount.

The MagSafe charging puck I will say has a strong magnetic connection. I can lift the phone up by the cable of the charger and leave the phone dangling and it still holds! Hoping the same strength in magnetic connection will come to a car mount / charger combo soon.

Nov 4, 2020 9:26 AM in response to LD150

it just depends on where and how one spends your day my friend... i work in the construction industry and probably get more dirty in a day than the average office job worker... any magnet ive ever had on any personal device would end up in need of regular cleaning of metallic debris. Apple just put out specific "debris" cleaning instructions for the magsafe puck for this exact reason and after a week of magsafe use i already have a ring of debris around the edge of the puck.

anyhow, more importantly, and back to the OP... my wireless charging is already broken and im fairly sure its due to using a car magnet.

i have 3 magsafe charging pucks and none of them work anymore. (telling me its the phone and not the puck itself) i had been using the puck in between my phone and my car magnet and for a few days it worked great. i then noticed that if i was to put the phone onto the puck that was already stuck to my car magnet, sometimes it would NOT start charging... this then became the norm and in order to get it to charge i would have to remove both items from the car magnet, disconnect and reconnect the magsafe puck from the phone a couple times to get the charging to start. this worked for a day or so but then it seemed to stop charging after a few minutes of having the two items stuck back to the car magnet. now, none of the pucks charge the phone, regardless of the phone sitting on a desk or a car magnetic holder. Im seeing quite a bit of "magsafe" news from apple lately... whether its guidelines or warnings. looks like the magsafe is turning out to be buggy as ****. damnit

i guess i cant be %100 sure the culprit is the car magnet however, it makes allot of sense that introducing another strong magnet right into the same area that a magnetic inductive system is trying to do its thing would cause a problem.

Apr 3, 2021 4:50 AM in response to Kelspeth

I purchased the 12 pro Max and the silicone case from Apple and I can confirm that the current magic mount magnets, or any others for that matter, will not stick to the silicone case and/or phone itself using the adhesive backing that they currently come with. However, if you have a case, a drop of gorilla glue where the adhesive currently is did the trick just fine.

Will iPhone 12 stick to magnetic car mounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.