Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes offline usage with multiple iPads

I’m planning to travel to remote areas without any internet connectivity for short periods of time, but at regular intervals. I’d like to take a number of iPads with me for entertainment for myself and up to around 8 others. My plan is to setup an iTunes account on a Desktop Computer at home, where I will make purchases in iTunes (Movies, TV etc), download the content to the Desktop, and then automatically Sync the content to the 9 iPads. I am aware that there are both automated and wireless syncing options in iTunes which should take the hassle out of updating that many iPads.

Are there any holes or pitfalls in my plan? Is there a better way to do it (no I can’t wait for Starlink :) ), can I sync that many iPads or is there a cap? Would I use the iTunes App on the iPad to play the content, or would I also need the AppleTV App?

Hoping for some guidance before I make the plunge.

Thanks!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 6:39 AM

You can sync media in iTunes to as many devices as you own. Devices can hold protected media from up to five different Apple IDs. Once synced that media should play without needing to take the device online to make any checks. The iTunes app in iOS is used to make purchases. Content is played using Music, TV, Podcasts, and Books (for audiobooks). All are installed by default.

There is a limit of 10 devices and computers that can actively download content from the store. See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community for more information.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Samdeg17

You can sync media in iTunes to as many devices as you own. Devices can hold protected media from up to five different Apple IDs. Once synced that media should play without needing to take the device online to make any checks. The iTunes app in iOS is used to make purchases. Content is played using Music, TV, Podcasts, and Books (for audiobooks). All are installed by default.

There is a limit of 10 devices and computers that can actively download content from the store. See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community for more information.

tt2

Oct 27, 2020 12:44 AM in response to Samdeg17

Samdeg17 wrote:

Thanks again tt2. I have a couple of questions around workflow for this model:

Do I need to download the content to the computer with iTunes, before it will sync with the iPads?

Yes, iTunes can only sync locally stored content. Devices can stream or download from the cloud when online.

Do the iPads need to be unlocked for them to auto sync when within wifi range of the computer's network?

From Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support:

Sync your content using Wi-Fi

When the computer and the device are on the same Wi-Fi network, the device appears in iTunes. The device syncs automatically whenever it's plugged in to power and iTunes is open on the computer.

So no, you don't need to unlock, but iTunes needs to be running and you need to put the device on charge for Wi-Fi syncing to commence.

tt2

Oct 26, 2020 4:35 PM in response to ericwh

Thanks for your responses. So it looks like my original plan is feasible, however the family sharing might offer a more convenient ‘workflow’? Do you know if family sharing automatically downloads the content to the other devices, or is that a manual process? If it’s manual, then that seems like more work than plan A.

Thanks,

iTunes offline usage with multiple iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.