Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generating a large encrypted disk image???

Hi:

Disk Utility is great and I use it all the time to create encrypted disk images.

However, now I've run into a problem when trying to create large disk images (.dmg files) on an external drive. Small .dmg images work great, both encrypted and non-encrypted. However, when I try to create large (1 TB to 4 TB) disk images, either encrypted or non-encrypted, using APFS, I continually get this error after a long wait:

Is there a way to use Disk Utility to successfully create large encrypted disk images on an external drive?

If not, would a terminal command work better???

If not, is there a 3rd party utility that would successfully accomplish this?

Any other ideas?

Thank you very much!!!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 10:04 AM

Didn't try hfs. Did have enough free space. Thanks for weighing in!

Here's what worked:

sudo hdiutil create -encryption AES-256 -size 4.4t -volname “Mounted_DiskImage_Name”  “Name_of_DiskImage.dmg" -fs APFS

Notes:

Change directory to where you want the image to go

Note that one must convert sizes, so 4.4t is actually 4.84 TB when you choose “Get info” in MacOS Finder

This took a couple of days (!!!) to complete, and similar long periods of time to unmount and remount, but it did work

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 10:04 AM in response to HWTech

Didn't try hfs. Did have enough free space. Thanks for weighing in!

Here's what worked:

sudo hdiutil create -encryption AES-256 -size 4.4t -volname “Mounted_DiskImage_Name”  “Name_of_DiskImage.dmg" -fs APFS

Notes:

Change directory to where you want the image to go

Note that one must convert sizes, so 4.4t is actually 4.84 TB when you choose “Get info” in MacOS Finder

This took a couple of days (!!!) to complete, and similar long periods of time to unmount and remount, but it did work

Generating a large encrypted disk image???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.