Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing AppleSetupDone doesn’t trigger setup

I’ve locked myself out of admin rights, possibly by changing the name of one my users. When attempting to remove AppleSetupDone in Single-User mode, it doesn’t trigger Setup.

I’ve used the following commands

cd /volumes/nameofmydrive

rm ./var/db/.AppleSetupDone

upon doing this I get asked to override a process. At this point I type ‘YES’ and it tells me it’s read-only.

Edit: Additionally when I type ‘ ls -al /var/db’

the AppleSetupDone file appears in the list.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 3:11 PM

You are not doing it correctly.

How to Create a New Admin User Account, if You Have None

Write down these instructions or print them. You will not be able to refer to anything else while in single-user mode.

Reboot the computer. At or before the chime, press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

^     ^  Note spaces

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone 

^    Note space

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than any other account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You need do nothing more. Log into the Admin account only when you need to, such as installing or upgrading software. Log into the Standard account for your normal computer uses. If you prefer using just one account, the admin account, then you will need to make some changes as discussed below.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2020 3:11 PM in response to Merluchi

You are not doing it correctly.

How to Create a New Admin User Account, if You Have None

Write down these instructions or print them. You will not be able to refer to anything else while in single-user mode.

Reboot the computer. At or before the chime, press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

^     ^  Note spaces

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone 

^    Note space

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than any other account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You need do nothing more. Log into the Admin account only when you need to, such as installing or upgrading software. Log into the Standard account for your normal computer uses. If you prefer using just one account, the admin account, then you will need to make some changes as discussed below.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

Removing AppleSetupDone doesn’t trigger setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.